Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling in the News

Old 01-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

You know you could tell right away why the little ones were crying as soon as the father started to leave for the day he started to scream and wouldnt stop. They wanted their mother and father, they wanted attention. As the Nanny said they needed routine and some sort of structure. They needed to be stimulated with learning.

It was a cry for help from them as well.

Sam
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/postcardkids/

Old 01-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

I wanted to start another thread, but apparently you have to have so many posts before you can start a thread...

Last night on Discovery Health, I watched a show about the Dilley sextuplets. I'm interested in seeing how large families run, so I enjoy the programs with the Duggars, and also Jon and Kate plus 8.

This show about the Dilleys was very well done. The 6 kids are now 12 years old, and after most of their lives being in private school, they are homeschooling. There were no slams against homeschooling, not much negative to note. I guess they are homeschooling this year, and they said next year they each will have the option of continuing homeschooling, or going to public or private school. I think they want to treat the kids as individuals and not as a group.

It was extremely encouraging, especially after the SuperNanny episode!

Mom of two teens (16 and 13)
Homeschooling since 1997

~Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. ~Will Rogers
Old 01-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Again, I don't think the SuperNanny show did any harm to homeschooling. It was obvious the parents are to blame and not homeschooling. Those girls really should be in school. If I were the older girl I would move out and take my sister with me. LOL. That mother was not interested in being a mother. When her daughter passed out it looked like Jo was more concerned then her own parents! In the end the oldest girl said a woman she hardly knows...Jo...was her hero! She has two parents that I am sure were not even in the running for the hero position. Very sad.

I get a kick out of those shows on multiple births. I don't care for that John and Kate plus 8 though. That Kate is so disrespectful and rude to her dh that I can't stand it. I also think she will drive her kids nuts! LOL.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

I would love to see a series with the Dilly family. Can you imagine life over the teen years? WOW. It really was a fun show to watch, and they seem to be doing well with homeschooling.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:57 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I have seen the previews of John and Kate plus 8 and I cringe everytime I see the kids smacking each other not sure I want to see the rest. Love watching the Dugger family!

Sam
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/postcardkids/

Last edited by Frugalcountrymom; 01-05-2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava Rose View Post

I get a kick out of those shows on multiple births. I don't care for that John and Kate plus 8 though. That Kate is so disrespectful and rude to her dh that I can't stand it. I also think she will drive her kids nuts! LOL.
I agree with you. She admits that she is OCD, and a germophobe. She overreacts to little things like one of the 3 yr old dripping ice cream on her shirt, but she doesn't see that she overreacted.

I still like to watch it though. I like to see how things get worked out, when it happens!

Homeschooling since 1997

~Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. ~Will Rogers
Old 01-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyB View Post
I would love to see a series with the Dilly family. Can you imagine life over the teen years? WOW. It really was a fun show to watch, and they seem to be doing well with homeschooling.
I would love to see it also. The only thing is that it was after 11 pm when they showed it here the other night. I usually try not to stay up past 11, but I couldn't sleep, so the tv was on.

Homeschooling since 1997

Old 01-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchermom View Post
I have seen the previews of John and Kate plus 8 and I cringe everytime I see the kids smacking each other not sure I want to see the rest. Love watching the Dugger family!

Sam
I know exactly what you mean! I guess that is the result of having 6 kids the same age, going through the 2's and 3's at the same time.

I love to watch the Duggar family also. I have 2 kids, but I just love seeing how large families work. It is amazing how efficiently everything seems to run at their house!

Homeschooling since 1997

Old 01-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I really liked how super nanny supported their desire to homeschool. She never once intimated that they should be "IN" school to alleviate the situation.

What she did was come up with the family schedule, and it dedicated 4.5 hours in the morning til after lunch for the girls to study. Then then helped watch the kids for about 2 hours, til 4:30 I think, then she told the parents they needed someone to watch the boys from 4:30 til the parents got home and got them to agree to a babysitter so the girls weren't the primary caretakers anymore. She forced mom to be the mom, which is what that mother really needed.

Then she took an attic-style bedroom and converted it into a study for the girls with a desk, their laptops, comfortable seating, bookcases . . . it was great! That way the girls could have the solitude from their siblings they needed to get their work done.

Feel free to check out my blogs:
www.familyd.50megs.com and www.musewriting.blogspot.com

Love my new kitties!
Old 01-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwenny99 View Post
I really liked how super nanny supported their desire to homeschool. She never once intimated that they should be "IN" school to alleviate the situation.

What she did was come up with the family schedule, and it dedicated 4.5 hours in the morning til after lunch for the girls to study. Then then helped watch the kids for about 2 hours, til 4:30 I think, then she told the parents they needed someone to watch the boys from 4:30 til the parents got home and got them to agree to a babysitter so the girls weren't the primary caretakers anymore. She forced mom to be the mom, which is what that mother really needed.

Then she took an attic-style bedroom and converted it into a study for the girls with a desk, their laptops, comfortable seating, bookcases . . . it was great! That way the girls could have the solitude from their siblings they needed to get their work done.
I know what you mean! I was kind of waiting for the nanny to say, "this isn't working, these girls need to be in school!" I really liked the converted attic for the school space also!

Homeschooling since 1997