Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 09-04-2007, 01:37 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

P.S. Forgot to say, I found a couple great links online for Hammurabi's Code. Game and lesson.

http://www.phillipmartin.info/hammurabi/
http://www.mrdowling.com/603mesopotamia.html
http://www.hammurabigame.com/hammurabi-game.php

I even played the game. I'm no good, let me tell you. lol
Homeschool blog

Old 09-04-2007, 10:01 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Did you get an email from notgrass yet? I got one that thanked me for joining thier email list, lol. My dh got a note saying it was ordered, now all we need is the books! HA!
hmm, I will look for the other thread
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!
Old 09-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

they came they came I m a teacher now!
HEHE, All my books came, I love the EWH it wil be easy enough for her to do on her own or with my help either way! COOL!
I love how its all explained and contained yet has outside needs, we have the first book off our shelves, Mere Christianity! So she has it set and ready for school tomorrow!
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!
Old 09-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

YAY TMom! Glad the books finally got there, and of course I'm glad you like them! Hope things go well and you have a great year!

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you. Not as the world gives, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled or afraid." John 14:27

I love GOD, my dh , ds18 , ds15 and dd12 with ALL my heart!

"Prayer is baring your soul to the One who loved you before you even knew of Him and letting Him speak to your heart." ---Storie Omartian---

I feel blessed to be on year 12 of Homeschooling!
Old 09-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

So, how is the book so far? I didn't end up ordering it when it came up backordered. We've been just winging it. I may order it this week though. What do you think about it now, after 3 weeks. What does your daughter think about it?
Homeschool blog
Old 09-25-2007, 06:44 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

we are really enjoying it! IT is not as much hard work as it could be, we are not making her do the writing in Bible daily, but discussing it, ( as I have time at the moment but eventually I will be checking more than once a week on her progress!
I have been going nuts with extra curric stuff with church and now home school grouping! YIKES< I am glad I am in this for park day only after this one co op, because I really have too busy a scedule as it is!

SO, we discuss her work as she is working on it and at the dinner table ..... She is just begining learning the begining , they start out with a why bother learning about history, whats so great about it, she really liked that!
And she got to choose a project, she chose the Nations Project (She works each week on answerng questions about that nation, ot much so far but will become fuller as she goes like atimeline of history in that country...? because she gets to record what happened through out history in the country she chose... well she chose Canada cause it said a country your parents may have lived in before... made it easy for her and she likes it.
The Bible study is really good! Friday is Bible every week! I gave her a binder to record Vocab words in, and need to keep up on checking that she is using it, and a time line for keeping track of times studied, she is creating a PIramid from toothpics right now as part of the study of the beginings... I dont think she has yet made it to Egypt but we decided she could start now! Ds was working on a rendition of the Nina the Pinta and the Santa Maria out of tooth picks, ( should tell you we have over three thousand toothpicks laying around from a project last year when ds 16 was to make the Golden Gate bridge with toothpicks! The teacher flaked on that one!
Re really is enjoying the reading and has had to read CSLEwis' book so far, Mere Christianity.
She is reading it fine, and I need to read it too so I can quiz her on it!
Or make up a Book report type form on it, with questions and answers to give her ideas of what to look for.
I am bad and do not force book reporting, but I need to start because it is hard to know if a kid is really reading it with out some sort of info coming back. Dd reads a million books and will verbalise it but I need the written word!

Last edited by TeacherMom; 09-25-2007 at 06:46 PM. Reason: forgot something!
Old 09-25-2007, 07:48 PM

I am so glad to see this review!! I am planning on using this with DS next year. I really liked that it was 2 subjects in one and that it helps calculate the High School Credits. I plan on utilizing our Public Library for the books(i.e. Mere Christianity...) And I am one who needs a little directions when planning our school year.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

We're doing well with our 'winging it' at the moment that I'm reluctant to order it. I like the direction we're going now. We're in Egypt. She is getting so much more out of it because I have her make up time lines and a report and then she has to teach it to her 8 yr old sister and do a project with her. (This kills 3 birds with one stone; 1 - she gets more history in her brain, 2 - my 8 yr old gets her history in and 3 - they are having times of NO ARGUING. It's amazing.) As soon as we start to flounder, I'm sure I'll whip out my credit card and get this program. I know she will love it.

I'm glad its working for you all though. It's so inspiring when the kids are enjoying their school. Both my kids told me this year they 'love' school. I about fell over! lol
Homeschool blog
Old 10-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I was really planning on doing more hands on myself, with dd, but ds is taking so much of me that there is little left so I am really glad that it works both ways. I do plan and have projects lined up, as she is around Egypt I gave her a cute little project of excavating an artifiact. (88 cents from walmart and it was really difficult to get out!) it was a horse statue so that was cool!
I also have books with tons of extra stuff once we get there. With them starting with why history and then the begining we are not quite to where I want to teach yet. But wil bring in mroe then,
I want her doing time lines and she is planning on the side the clothing for each time to add to the time lines

Old 10-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

DD's timeline has tons of drawn pictures to help her sister relate to what it all was. They've watched a video together (I'll have to get you the name, it was fabulous, I watched it.) Today I told her she had to learn some specifics of Egypt. She asked to do research/report and decided on studying Hatshepsut. Very interesting queen...
Homeschool blog