Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 04-18-2007, 04:40 PM

Alpha Omega vs Bob Jones

In regards to Science and History. I use Horizons from Abeka for the rest on the basics.

My daughter will be in 2nd grade next year and that is what I am looking for.

She is very much a workbook loving child.

I have read different post that Bob Jones is boring but I have not read any thing about Alpha Omega Lifepacs.
I am looking for pros and cons.

Thanks,
Janet

Old 04-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

We are using Lifepacs right now. My daughter is in 2nd grade. She LOVES them. They do have suggested hands on activities in the teachers books which we try to add to it too.

My daughter doesn't seem bored at all. And we were talking with her about what to do next year. WE had planned to switch to SOS, but she said she really liked the workbooks, so we're going with workbooks another year.

I LOVE the way they weave scripture thru it, so if you're looking for one that reinforces bible as well as teach the subject, it's great.

Hope this helps.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." - Gerald R. Ford, August 12, 1974
Old 04-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Bob Jones Science is dull, but I don't feel that way about the English 2, Math 1 and Spelling 1 we use. I like how nicely it's laid out.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I am leaning toward Lifepacs for Emily for fourth grade next year. We are going to a curriculum fair next month so I can decide.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I used Life paks for the first 8 years of my dds13, and ds15, wiht exception of SOS for Science. They did fine with them really enjoyed them in the younger years. They are colorfully done with cute characters to help the younger ones learn.
We found as they get older and its more self pace and self instruction that they got boring for my kids because its so much read read read answer answer... I even took turns reading with them and we would sit and discuss the dif things, but in JR high and High it seems its not as enjoyable for them.
ds9 used them up to this year and was fine with them but we were given SOS for free so using it for now.
I personaly am bored after all these years so to get me fired up I am researching other people.
They are inexpensive and yes have lots of helps in the teacher books, just remember to use them! It is easy in younger grades to grade without the books and forget you have them, they also have wonderful schedule suggestions and a lay out for lesson plans that you can photocopy.
so I do recomend them if you have not been using them for so many years haha!
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!
Old 04-19-2007, 04:13 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I do not have experience with Alpha Omega so I cannot compare it to BJ. However, I use Bob Jones for spelling and english and I really like it. My dd likes it also. I don't think it is boring. I do agree that BJ science is kinda dull. I have heard good things about both. Perhaps you can get a sample of each on their websites.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

oh and we are trying out Bob Jones English for the first time so I can't say if its boring yet, but from what I have seen it looks exciting!
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!
Old 04-19-2007, 04:41 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Alpha Omega has several options available.

Likepacs, workbook based cur.

Horizons, workbook based cur.

SOS which is a computerized curr. based on Lifepacs

Weaver which is a Unit Study type cur.

Horizons is similar to Lifepacs, but a bit more spiral learning and less mastery oriented.

I have used BJU for Bible and History/Social Studies this year for 1st grade. I did not use the teachers manuals however.

To compare these to each other, I would need to see the manual for the BJU to see how the overall package is. Based just on the history student book it seem a bit light. I simple use it as a map of what to teach and we explore the topics that are laid out in the text using the internet and books etc.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

so the history, how did it work? WIth BJU, do you read a lot and work a little?

Old 04-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

We just started BJU Science 1 this week. I picked up the teachers manual and cassette tape at a local consignment shop for 10 bucks. The lady wouldn't take the plastic wrap off so I could look at it there so I had to buy it.
I'm glad I did because I saved myself some money and even though it wasn't my original plan for science, it has things we wouldn't have covered with the science I was going to get. We just finished the first unit and I'll be posting pics in my blog of the lapbook we made.
The teachers book is excellent, lots of neat ideas and hands on activities that really get the point across.
Blew me away that dd can tell me the path of the sun, phases of the moon, why starts twinkle, ect. She learned all of that this week by doing the lapbook and the activities that are in the teachers manual.
The student worksheets are minimal. Very little written work- at least for the 1st grade. Each lesson only has one sheet to do.

Yes it could be dull, but I think if you really read the teachers book and get creative it can be a lot of fun. I know we had fun this week! We probably won't do every unit in the book either because some things we've covered since pulling dd from ps back in December.

If it gets to the point where it's just not exciting anymore I'll be ordering noeoscience.

I can't say anything about lifepac because I've never looked at them. I do know a lot of homeschoolers HERE do not like lifepacs in general and liked the science even less. Most of them use Apologia or Sonlight for the younger grades.

http://mamaphotog.wordpress.com/