Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Other Conversation

Old 12-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Are rock tumblers worth it?

I picked up a rock tumbler at Wal-Mart for $23. We have some appropriate rocks we'd like to tumble BUT, do these things work as well as they claim? So many products show images on the packaging that are nothing like what the product actually produces. Also, I bought a refill kit, but how easy is it to get the grit and polishing compound once we run out, and where? Thanks. . . Kathy

Old 12-22-2006, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
Homeschool Spot Addict

I had a neighbor once that had one, I think they had fun with it. I know they sell the thing at Micheal's craft store, but I have never checked for refil kits.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Kathy, I would guess it would depend on how good of one you got. My uncle had one when I was young that he used a lot. He would actually make jewelry out of the tumbled stones. He felt his was well worth it. But I could also see someone getting one that didn't do that good of a job, and it sitting around forever, too!
Old 12-23-2006, 12:14 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I've looked at them and thought about buying one but didn't. Let us know how it works!!

Yes, I do love God. He is my source of existence and Savior. He keeps me functioning each and everyday. Without Him, I will be nothing. Without him, I am nothing but with Him "I can do all things through Christ that strengthens me." Phil 4:13
Old 12-23-2006, 05:54 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I was all excited about using this, until I went online and read it takes a week to tumble the rocks through each phase!! Holy cow!! I'm not a very patient person, not to mention that even in the garage the sound of tumbling rocks for a week will start to get to us!! Well, I'll think about it. Next year I'd like to take up geo-caching with the kids and it would make the hikes all the more fun to look for cool rocks to turn into jewelry.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Kyzg, my family does letterboxing, but haven't yet graduated to geocaching!