Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Christian Issues

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 09:39 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Jehovah's Witnesses

I had an interesting experience today! We were doing school when the doorbell rang. Right away, chaos reigned, lol! The dog started barking and running to the door, all three kids jumped up from two different rooms where they WERE doing school, I'm telling them to all SIT DOWN, it wasn't for THEM, while trying to get to the door and instruct Rachael to grab the dog and put it out back, lol!

Anyway, it was a JW. I can't remember the last time I had one talk to me, but I DO remember that once they get started, it's almost impossible to get rid of them without being rude. Of course, my VERY OBEDIENT children are right there behind me. I tell them to get back to their schoolwork, while taking the paper from the lady. I honestly thought at first it was a political flyer, except she also had a Bible with her. She handed me the paper, and just about RAN from there! I'm curious if she just assumed I was a Christian, since it was obvious I was a HS'er. I sure got the impression she wanted NOTHING to do with my household, though! LOL!

Old 10-26-2006, 09:59 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Funny Jackie! Maybe she just took pity that it would be too difficult to talk to you!
Old 10-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Homeschool Spot Addict

maybe she was homeschooled.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I have had a surge of JW's lately. Once when I answered the door and woman started with her spill...my dd heard it. Olivia ran to get my Bible and then handed it to me. She wanted me to refute what the lady was saying. Which I did at first but then grew very tired of the conversation. I normally don't EVER converse with JW's or Mormans when they come a knocking. However, this lady started out with her speech immediately. I made the unfortunate mistake of answering a question she asked. lol. Oh well. My dog scared away the last few.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:32 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Sometimes I am so happy to live on base. Door to door stuff like that is illegal.
For the record I don't like ANY strangers ringing my door bell. It scares me because of how much time I spend alone without my Husband.
Blake 10yrs
Kimberly 6 yrs
Brandon 4yrs
Brian 1year(where does the time go?)

Happiness keeps You Sweet,
Trials keep You Strong,
Sorrows keep You Human,
Life keeps You Humble,
Success keeps You Glowing,
But Only God keeps You Going

www.enjoyingmotherhood.blogspot.com
Old 10-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

We have a lot of Mormon boys come around. I usually am very nice and just give them something from the freezer, sounds silly but I have several Mormon friends who have told me how they live on very little $ so I always feel badly for them, especially in this weather up here. How funny that she got the clue right away! Lucky you did not have to go rounds with her!
Old 10-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

That's funny, cuz we had a couple Morman guys come to our house yesterday! My ds13 answered the door right away, and I came up behind him. I HAD to talk with them, cuz the door was wide open, but they were actually very nice, and ended the discussion in not too long. I'm always worried it will go a long time too, especially during school time, when my kids are FINALLY getting something done! At least they're doing a work they feel called to do! I just told them I'm happy with my religion and beliefs, and these guys accepted that and didn't try to convince me otherwise.

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you. Not as the world gives, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled or afraid." John 14:27

I love GOD, my dh , ds18 , ds15 and dd12 with ALL my heart!

"Prayer is baring your soul to the One who loved you before you even knew of Him and letting Him speak to your heart." ---Storie Omartian---

I feel blessed to be on year 12 of Homeschooling!
Old 10-26-2006, 01:49 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

You know, I think I much rather get a JW at my door than some of these other idiots that come up and try selling junk. The AT&T (phone company) guy was the worst. I even told him if he comes back that I'll have to get my lawyer (he would NOT leave). Then he said it's his right to come back. I'm like, EXCUSE ME?! You are trespassing on private property bub and if you come back I WILL get someone on your tail! It is MY right to tell you to get off my property! That was not a pleasant experience.

Even though I am not a JW, they do preach the Bible, God, and Jesus. It's just a different mor extreme view of it. Usually I tell them I am a Christian and really don't "need" to talk to them, but I will take their pamphlets as a kind gesture. They usually are pretty polite then and less pushy...maybe because I am telling them I don't need to be 'saved' by them?

I did have one Mormon guy come to our door once. He was respectful too after I said I was a Christian. Actually, I find that you can get some pretty intersting discussion from talking to them about religion and the different views.

Jennie, mom to two handsome little men, two crazy cats, and a nutty husband!!!
DS1: 7/27/02
DS2: 4/17/07
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.". (Proverbs 3:5-6)
The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you
Old 10-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

There is a "story" in dh family that years ago, one of his uncles answered the door to a JW in his underwear and a shotgun! Needless to say, they NEVER had a JW call on them again! When a JW comes around, I usually say (with the homeschool and babysitting rucus going on behind me!) I automatically tell them "no thanks--we are Catholic and love it!! "
Blessings,
Shawna
Old 10-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I wasn't going to tell this but after reading Shawna's story I couldn't resist. One year we had several JWs come by. It got to be about every two weeks. I finally asked them to stop coming because it was getting crazy. One day they came and I was at the store. Freddy heard the door and went to answer it and saw through a little window who it was. He had been going to just crack the door and let whoever was there know he couldn't talk right then but oh no, he opened the door and stood there dripping wet in just a towel as if he hadn't known it was them. They didn't come back for a while after that. We had a family move across the street from us who were Jehovah's Witnesses and their little boy kept asking me if I wanted to have a tuddy with his parents. I said no I don't think so. He looked so surprised and kept asking me if I wanted to have a tuddy with his mom and dad. The kid was about 4 and a half at the time. I was so confused and I kept telling him I didn't know what a tuddy was. He seemed to be getting upset so I started talking about something else and he dropped it. A couple of days later he asked me if I wanted to see his pider. He showed me a jar with a SPIDER in it. I couldn't help but start laughing. A tuddy turned out to be a Bible STUDY. The kid just couldn't say his S's yet. I still get a kick out of that one. Beth
Closed Thread