Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 05-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Public School Reading Books

Obviously, from my thread yesterday, I'm feeling some unrest with my language arts plans. I realy want everything all in one nice neat package. Needing secular I don't see that happening with anything written to homeschoolers. There is no secular version or comparison to LLATL.

Well I woke up thinking, "You know you plan on using Treasures workbooks for reading comp and vocab and spelling. Why not use the reading books as well? Then drop the Scott Foresman grammar and writing handbook and use the Treasures Grammar workbook".

I can use all of these things free online... yes even the Treasures reading books can be found online. I have been looking at the books a bit. They are very nicely varigated in it's content, which I like for exposure. They have nice Time articles in them.

If we go this route I will try to buy the books for the kids, but I want to see how it fits first because even on ebay they are not cheap. I would also require "real books" being read every day but they could be of their own choices.

Anyone use something similar to this for their language arts program?

Old 05-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

A few years ago I used one of McGraw-Hills other programs called Imagine It!. I really liked the program and would have kept using it but I like to switch things out more often then I probably should. It had everything my kids needed, vocab, spelling, grammar, writing, and even Across the curriculum projects to get kids thinking about how this stuff integrates into life. I looked up the Treasures and it looks very similar. The fact that you can find it all online and print it as needed is great too. I didn't have that option. I say use it!

Wife to 1 incredible husband
Mom to 7 crazy, insane but wonderful children
DS~Chairman~14 Thinks he is always in charge
DD~Generosity~11 always helping others
DS~Astute Lad~10 uncannily perceptive
DD~Persistence~9 very determined
DD~Sweetness~5 sweet girl
DS~Sunshine~3 always smiling
DS~Tiny Explorer~1 into everything

~~My blog~~
Old 05-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

You could possibly get refurbished books from Follett Educational Services. Schools sometimes turn in their old books and unused workbooks, even TMs, for money to buy new books. Schools use Follett to replace books that took a walk, or to even just buy enough for a whole classroom cheaper. Scan their website, and you might luck up and find the ones you want.

"LIKE" Peter & Paul Academy at Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...31024760253273
Old 05-23-2013, 06:51 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Can you post the links for everything again? I know you did the workbooks last week sometime....Sorry, I'm being lazy!

But I'd love to see the books online, too...

Trying to find stuff for my 3rd grader, and I looked at the workbooks last week, and like them, but if I had the reading books to go along...

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." - Gerald R. Ford, August 12, 1974
Old 05-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Book codes. Place to find books. All the workbooks. Oh and then there are online activities for them too!!!

Lindina, their prices are a little better.. still a lot when you think you need a few books a year, first grade is 5 books at $17 each plus shipping (I didn't look to see how much that was).

I really think I like this plan of attack.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Veteran Member

We use total language plus and love it, especially since it is all in one program.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3legacies View Post
We use total language plus and love it, especially since it is all in one program.
TLP is from a Christian perspective. It won't work for my family. We have to have secular resources.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I just wanted to update... I found the reading books by searching by isbn on amazon for decent prices (at least some of them). I just ordered both 3rd and both 2nd grade books for under $30 after shipping.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:31 PM

Crazymama, when I looked at your "our curriculum" link a couple of weeks ago and found the Mcmillan Mcgraw Hill links to complete LA materials that were FREE I was thrilled! I found the accompanying Treasures reading book,used, at Amazon for $7. I see you've already found your books there too. I have gotten various other resources for writing, which my daughter does not enjoy at all. I hope to pique her creativity with writing and grow her desire for it.

We are a Christian family and I used BJU Reading and grammar for my 3rd grader this past year. I wasn't thrilled with it and wanted something different for the next school year. The Treasures LA program looks awesome to me, especially with the added online activities to accompany it, and it's all connected with a mutual story to better improve all LA skills. I am really thankful for your shared resource.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I need to update that link some... since I'm going to be dropping the Scott Foresman Grammar workbook... which I really like, I just have this need to streamline.

I'm trying now to figure out what we need to do each day of the week. I keep reading reviews from teachers saying there is too much in each "theme" to get done in a week, but then they have all kinds of charts to show the kids and have other readers it seems on top of the big reading book.

Have you looked enough to see how it needs broken down? I'm almost thinking 2 weeks per theme, but then we won't get through the book... not even close..lol