Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
Homeschool Spot Addict

Unhappy High school level, Christian (?) American History

Is there anything out there for American History that is similar to Mystery of History? (Even something secular would be fine if it's very deep... preferably 1-2 years in length.) I found All American History, Vols 1 & 2 today at a used bookstore for less than half price. I had planned to use them "someday", so I kinda flipped when I saw them... almost scooping them up and running to the check-out counter. But when I got a good look at them, they seemed so dry, and they seemed to lack depth. *sigh*

I have pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenty of time before I actually need to think about high school transcripts, but please humor my OCD-ness and help me start looking for something today. My spreadsheets will really appreciate it. My whole life is a series of spreadsheets and lists. I'm lost without them!

* Batman (9yo, 6th, DYS, Aspie, ADD, neuro-motor delays) - Worship Music Leadership, Evidences, WW 8, LoF F&D + Physics, Web Programming (HTML5, CSS & JS), Bowling, Scouts

.....* Both - Pentime, Apologia Astronomy, MoH 1, ASL, Art, Piano, classic lit

* Robin (6yo, 3rd, PG, progressive hearing loss) - R&S Bible 5 & 6, R&S English 3, Reading Comp from Varied Sub Matter, Seq Sp 1, WW 3, LoF Elem, SS Latin 2, Gymnastics

Barefoot Books

Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

My aunt gave me an AP American history text book for my dd this year... it covers everything!

this is the link to what I have...

http://www.amazon.com/The-American-P...928391&sr=8-31

It may be something to look at.

http://homeschoolingaadventures.blogspot.com
Curriculum for sale:
http://homeschoolingaadventures.blog...-for-sale.html
My daughter's shop
http://www.etsy.com/shop/theonestopg...op?ref=si_shop

".....yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread. "
Ps 37:25
Old 05-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

We used BJU for high school American History. I found it very factual and sd said it actually grabbed her attention and she did not mind reading it (a huge thing when it comes to history for her). I added some Drive Thru History and some other period movies to flesh out the curriculum.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

We never made it through our All American History text. It is dry.

I am not positive about my choice, but I am thinking of going with Exploring America. It is from Notgrass and is good for 9th-12th grade. It is a series of three texts and counts as three units. I didn't want a curriculum that covers history, American lit, and Bible in one but it is the only text I can find that seems a bit interesting. I looked over the questions on the quiz sample and they seem reasonable and thought provoking. It is reading intensive. Since Ems is beginning 9th, we are keeping transcripts and U.S History is a required course for college. We wanted Mystery of History but the new text isn't published yet.

http://rainbowresource.com/product/s...68ab514d11442b

He is educated who knows how to find out what he doesn't know. - Georg Simmel

Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational.
- Charles Schulz
Old 05-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I second Notgrass. I can't wait to dig in to it! I picked it up at the convention a couple weeks back and have already been flipping through it a bit. It seems well-written -- factual, yet interesting. The chapters are short, so it makes it seem more manageable. It is definitely reading intensive, but I really love how the Literature is intertwined.

There are three texts, one each for part one and part two (basically divided by semester), and the third is a set of excerpts from historical documents to refer to while studying (part of the literature component). You supplement with about 7? novels to round out the literature. You piece in the novels into the time period being discussed in the history portion.

"the world is a book; and those who do not travel, read only a page." St. Augustine

Check out my Etsy shop:
Green Cottage Designs
Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I put together my own history since my Ds knows more about it already than I do. One thing I am having him read this year is America's Providential History (Beliles and McDowell). It actually goes through history in light of God orchestrating everything, even down to the geography of how the gospel was spread. It spends a little time setting it up from the beginning till the gospel was spread to America. Then it focuses on how God's hand has been in our history through the people and battles. It talks about specific miracles, too. It has been eye opening for us.

The book is designed to encourage reforming America, so there is an agenda of sorts that you might not be comfortable with, but the meat of the book is worth reading if just for the anecdotal evidence of God's hand in our history.

He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. ~ Revelation 22:20
Old 05-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Homeschool Spot Addict

Thank you!! Now I have time to find these suggestions in person (conferences, used book sales, etc.) to see what I like, and time to find them at a good price before I need them.

* Batman (9yo, 6th, DYS, Aspie, ADD, neuro-motor delays) - Worship Music Leadership, Evidences, WW 8, LoF F&D + Physics, Web Programming (HTML5, CSS & JS), Bowling, Scouts

.....* Both - Pentime, Apologia Astronomy, MoH 1, ASL, Art, Piano, classic lit

* Robin (6yo, 3rd, PG, progressive hearing loss) - R&S Bible 5 & 6, R&S English 3, Reading Comp from Varied Sub Matter, Seq Sp 1, WW 3, LoF Elem, SS Latin 2, Gymnastics

Barefoot Books
Old 05-02-2012, 12:47 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Possibly take a look at using Illuminations with AAH. ILM is put out by the publisher of both MOH and AAH, and we are loving it with MOH. It definitely helps take the text to a more in-depth level and expands by way of literature and study guides. Haven't used or even seen the year 4 which would use AAH1, but all of the ILM packages include a high school option and I'm sure there are samples on the yahoogroup.
My Faith and Family Blog, TOS Crew
MISS BIG FAT BOSSY HEAD!
Eng: Rod & Staff, English From the Roots Up, ETC, FLL
Math: Math-U-See Reading: BIP Illuminations
Bible: Christian Liberty Press, Vos storybook
History: Mystery of History Science: SOS, cub scouts
Old 05-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

if no one else did I third Notgrass, we are doing the world history for tenth next year I was going to try something else but read some of it again and was totally sure its the best thing for ds as well!
It has history, lit and bible all intertwined, and don't get scared by the fact they consider it a 3 hour class, its not really that long unless you count your research time and such like that> It just qualifies as one.
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

you could also check drive thru history... we are using some of this and the not grass for our world history this year, it is very good and helps them see what they are studying.
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!