Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 01-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Counting to 100

How did you teach your K how to count to 100, mine can barely count to 20! HELP!!

Rhoslyn- Our sweet baby Rose!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

If your Kindergartener can count to 20, then you are doing fine. Why does he need to count up to 100 right now? Continue working on it and it will come with practice. Some children learn faster than others. Some need more practice.

With that said, Ems and I would use toothpicks. I would drop them on the floor and she would count as she picked them up. When she got to a point that she couldn't count higher, then I would tell her the next number and so forth.

We would also count beans, same idea as above.

Count while jumping, clapping, stomping their foot.

Do they have cars to play with? Start counting the amount of times the car goes around the track.

...and of course they can always write 1, 2, 3 ... While that is useful and necessary to identify the numbers, playing while counting sticks to the brain better and faster. They aren't just seeing it, they are hearing it and applying the numbers.

He is educated who knows how to find out what he doesn't know. - Georg Simmel

Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational.
- Charles Schulz
Old 01-06-2012, 03:33 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

It will come. We would count everythingand I mean everything! I am kind of tired of it lol. I also used a hundreds chart with bingo dabbers for the kids to recognize the numbers. And I put a number caterpillar I made up to fifty on the wall. It will come in time. Start with being solid to twenty, then fifty. Also teaching them the pattern to numbers so they understand the repetition helps
DD~8 My vivacious comedy relief.
Life is never sweeter then when journeyed with someone you love.http://www.adventurehollow.blogspot.com
http://www.facebook.com/adventurehollow
Old 01-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member

Hi,

I used a song to teach them to count by tens after they could count to twenty. It was easy for them to fill in the numbers between the tens once they knew the tens.

Blessings,
Susan
Old 01-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I KNOW, I KNOW!!! PICK ME!!! (This is so simple, it's funny!!!).

If you go to this thread: http://www.homeschoolspot.com/showthread.php?t=29393 there's a post I did on how I learned to do it from a "Math Their Way" workshop I took while in the classroom. There's also a picture of Rachael doing it with her younger cousins. I CANNOT tell you how well this "system" works!!! Also, there's another post I did about using the calendar. Another "Math Their Way" idea that is great for K's!

www.freewebs.com/sprite59
Old 01-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

Master counting to 20. Then work on to 30. Once they can count to 30 they start to get the pattern, so then go to 50 and the each decade until 100. It takes a looooong time and a lot of repetition.

There are also some great Youtube counting videos that might help.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Mine counts to 20.

Rylee picked up to 100 by watching Dora with the dogs... they had to count to 100 but they counted by 10s. Once she mastered that then she picked up the numbers in the middle to get her to 100.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Here's the way taught to me by a first-grader: One, two, skip a few, ninety-nine, a hundred! LOL!

www.freewebs.com/sprite59
Old 01-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose7212 View Post
Hi,

I used a song to teach them to count by tens after they could count to twenty. It was easy for them to fill in the numbers between the tens once they knew the tens.

Blessings,
Susan
I also taught the 10s once they knew up to 20. It was much easier to fill it in if they knew the 10s.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I dont have much of a schedule with my 4 yr old preschooler, we take whatever time we get, in between his older brothers. He does counting every day. I have number cards, and he has to lay them out in order 1-20. Wasnt able to do this in the beginning, but now he can. And then I lay out 3 ir 4 random numbers every day, and he has to make a row of blocks in that amount. I act all silly when he does it right, which is what he LOVES, so he tries hard. And we count to 100 every day, together...he has lots of holes in there still, but we do it together...

Jackie, your idea sounds very promising, I'm going to start that on Monday!