Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 07-16-2004, 01:16 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Weekly Readers

I have a question about weekly readers. I remembering getting them in school. I wanted to know how to order them for Vicki. She is in 2nd grade. I would like to start doing that. I read your posts about elections and then seen the weekly readers. It reminded me of them. Thanks for help.

Old 07-16-2004, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

Boy Trish if you find out let me know too. I would love to order them for my girls too.
They had them when they were in public school and loved them.
Kristy TX
Old 07-16-2004, 02:57 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

God's World News

We subscribe to a Christian weekly reader, God's World News. My son really looks forward to receiving his "Early Edition" (K-1st gr. level)! There are three more publications geared for higher reading levels, up to 9th grade.

http://www.gwnews.com/gwnews/new/default.asp

Hope this helps!

Anne
Old 07-16-2004, 02:58 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

more info...

I forgot to mention, if you are a member of HSLDA, they give you a 15% discount!
Old 07-16-2004, 02:59 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

There's a Christian version called "God's World" that I have gotten in the past, and it simply didn't work for me. I'd get one or two, then none for a while, then a bunch (including the back issues). I wanted something that I could just kind of do "every" Monday or something, and it didn't work out. Has anyone actually DONE "Weekly Readers"? Are they consistant with getting them out, etc? I assume some flexibility might be needed around Holiday times, but......
Old 07-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

Weekly reader 1-800-446-3355

Scholastic News (cheaper and has a nice big sized teachers edition/poster)
1-800-scholastic

We get both here. This year I'll just get the Scholastic News. It was just too many to keep up with.

I had the same delivery problems with God's World in the past.

Both weekly reader and scholastic have web sites. Scholastic will send those carnival and Scholastic book orders. They have great sales.
Tammy
Old 07-16-2004, 03:21 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Trish, just go to their site...

and click on subscribe/renew. You should be able to order them. We get them and really enjoy them. I believe there is a two student minimum order. I just ordered two instead of one so that we could get them.

www.weeklyreader.com
Old 07-16-2004, 08:11 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Thanks you guys. I appreciate it.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:37 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Hey girls.....

We get weekly readers too! We just loved them! A few times they would get messed up as far as getting behind but caught up pretty quickly..

It was something short enough and not too daunting when the boys weren't in the mood for a long reading time. Not to mention they get mail

They pretty much go with the new school year..Start like in late August and stop in April or May...
Old 07-17-2004, 01:10 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Weekly Reader is EXPENSIVE for single subscriptions! 24.95 each. Kindergarten subscriptions are the same, but then you can get Science Spin for 99 cents. I like them both. I also oredered Time for Kids. A fool and her money.......