Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 08-27-2011, 06:42 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

what time do you start schooling

Since this is going to be my first year home with the kids in the morning, What time do you start schooling???

I was thinking getting up at 7 and beginning by 8 on our days home.

I use to work in the morning and just start schooling when I got home but God has different plans for this year. So, since this will be new to me, talk to me about your morning routine.

Oh, I almost forget.... My kids are use to being lazy in the morning because of my work schedule. Last year they got up around 8:30 or 9 then some TV then mom got home around 9:30. So, this is going to be a change, especially since mom is a early bird....

Like a cool drink of water when you're worn out and weary is a letter from a long-lost friend. Proverbs 25:25

Married DH 14 years
ds 14 years old
dd 13 years old

Old 08-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I let the kids sleep in till 8 and we start at 9 at the latest. My younger two are usually up earlier so I might start with them on a subject or two and then work with my oldest later after she wakes up. She has hypothyroidism, so extra sleep can be important for her. She's also a night person and sometimes does her work in the evening becuase she is more awake. We tend to be pretty flexible.
Old 08-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

As long as my kids are going to sleep easily in the evening, I let them sleep until they wake in the morning (different for each). We have breakfast together (finally!), usually listening to an audio recording of a Bible passage, literature selection, or history chapter. If I've already eaten, then I will do the reading. (Some days, audio books are the only way I get a peaceful chance to eat.)

There are exceptions, of course. For example, the heat wave we've had this summer in TX has been keeping the kids stuck inside. We're luck to get below 80 overnight, highs between 104 and 108 in the afternoon. So, I've been waking them at sunup and kicking, erm, sending them outside to play until 8 AM or so. Then they come in, have breakfast and we start.

Next week, I'll have to work Wed, Thurs, and Fri mornings. I think I may just move school into the kitchen or adjoining laundry room. Things just don't happen if I'm not keeping an eye on them, and I'm unwilling to blow off our schedule for that many days in a row.
She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands... Proverbs 31:13

My website
Old 08-27-2011, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

We usually wake up when the baby wakes up, which is usually around 7. Then DS does chores, which takes about an hour, while the baby watches Dora, and I take a shower. We eat breakfast at around 8, which takes about 30-40 minutes to complete and get all cleaned up, so I'm guessing that we'll be starting school by 9.
We start on Monday, so we'll see how it goes.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:40 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

My sons are 7 and 6. I have always let them wake on their own unless we had somewhere to be at a certain time. We usually start around 9:30 or 10.

This year may be different as I'm keeping an 8 month old little girl during the week which will be taking time away from our schooling unless I stay busy and mindful. We start this week so I'm sure I'll find out soon if we need to make some changes.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 AM

If my kids wake late in the morning or are allowed to wake slowly, they dawdle all day. I find that they thrive on routine and (unfortunately for their night owl mom) on being an early bird.

Also, mine wet their beds (genetic issue) EVERY night and they get up and deal with sheets, clothes, shower, etc...

So, our mornings are usually this..

Up around 6:30... make breakfast while hubby wakes himself and kids...

Throwing all wet sheets/clothes in wash (kids do this)

Pray before breakfast... then breakfast...

AM chore (each kid has one small chore)

Dad goes to work... kids do "self check"... that's a list of things they do to clean/prepare selves for day...

School... usually started before 8.

We start school with a morning meeting, where we help the preschooler learn her ABC's (big kids do them in sign language)... we do pledges to bible and american flag... we have announcements, prayer, and some type of warm up excercise....

Then comes math... math HAS to be put here because any other time of day and it is HORRIBLE to get my eldest to accomplish it.

Then we do all other subjects for the day... stopping for lunch, short "recess" and after lunch chore (another small chore)...

Then we finish any extra project, work we are behind on... or kids just finish up their assignments from the day independently.

Then we are done.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:18 AM

oh... and I'm interviewing for a job third shift on Monday... it will be full time, but only seasonal. Not sure what season.. but it's supposed to be seasonal.

If I get that job, I will be setting up dinner and making it so hubby only has to reheat. (he's not the cooking type.. if he had to do dinner every day, my kids would get mac n cheese every day..)

Then I'll wake up around seven thirty... kids will spend an hour with me... they will go to bed... I'll have an hour to do dishes/clean kitchen if hubby didn't have time and then I'll be headed to work.

Good gravy, I sure hope I can do it!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

We started out getting up at 7 and doing school at 8. However we were being done by 10:30 so I felt that was not necessary. Now I have been letting the girls sleep in until they naturally wake up (normally around 8:30) and starting school around 9 or 9:30. My goal is to be done by lunch each day but there have been days where there is still work to do in the afternoon. As we get further into the year there is more work and it takes a little more time than it did the first week. (my girls are almost 2, 4, and 6)
Old 08-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I get the kids up at 7 and we go jogging. We are usually back around 7:45. We then eat breakfast and then start school. Sometimes it's 8:00 sometimes it's 8:30. My kids are 15 & 17 so I need to get them up and going, teenagers would sleep all day if you let them.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Last year we started at 10 on Mondays and 9 the rest of the week. That allowed me an extra cleaning hour on Mondays. We were often extending our day past lunch and I hated that.

This year we've been starting at 8 every day and it's so much nicer for us. We are almost always done by lunch time, and if I know we're going over I try to keep the last subject(s) things they can do independently.

I feel like I need at least a couple hours between school and dinner prep to stay sane.