Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 07-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Math-u-See blocks

i noticed in the demo video on math u see that the blocks he uses are magnetic, yet i dont think it says anything in the product description about them being magnetic... has anyone ordered these or does anyone know?

**wife to Brandon & mama to Travin and Caridyn**

::Proud to be a Jesus lovin', church goin', skirt wearin', homeschoolin', healthy livin', homemakin', husband kissin' kinda mama::

Check out our family blog!

Old 07-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

The blocks you purchase are not magnetic. He uses larger, custom made blocks (if memory serves) for the DVDs. I am not so sure that you could effectively insert magnets in the ones for home use, either, since you need them to be hollow in the back when you do subtraction.

Maybe another MUS user has some ideas for you.

He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. ~ Revelation 22:20
Old 07-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I don't use Math-u-see, but depending on what you want to do with them, you might be able to do something else with them.

For my dd, I had printed 100's blocks offline and pasted them to cardboard. I could just have easily pasted them to a sheet of magnet though and cut them out.

LOL- my daughter used her 'set' of 100's, 10's, and 1's for about a week. Then she BEGGED me to just let her do it in her head instead LOL. I think she found all the block shuffling annoying instead of helpful. (OTOH, I had a blast with glue and scissors making them for her...).
"Education has opened many, many doors. However, there are still innumerable doors shut tight -- unopened yet. These are the doors of the future. Perhaps one of my children will open one of these doors -- I shall help give him the key." -unknown
Old 07-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

well i found a much cheaper set of blocks on amazon.. so i'm going to order those. glad i realized the blocks weren't magnetic before i ordered them for like 35 bucks!!

::Proud to be a Jesus lovin', church goin', skirt wearin', homeschoolin', healthy livin', homemakin', husband kissin' kinda mama::

Old 07-02-2011, 07:24 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyb View Post
well i found a much cheaper set of blocks on amazon.. so i'm going to order those. glad i realized the blocks weren't magnetic before i ordered them for like 35 bucks!!
Yes, I wish I had known about cheaper sets when my kids were starting out on MUS. Live 'n learn.

He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. ~ Revelation 22:20
Old 07-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyb View Post
i noticed in the demo video on math u see that the blocks he uses are magnetic, yet i dont think it says anything in the product description about them being magnetic... has anyone ordered these or does anyone know?
We made our own out of foam board? You know the ones you make art stuff with? We just got some of those in appropriate colors and dd took over measuring out exact size amount etc, and that what we used for Algebra.. ds did much better when he used them during his lessons too!
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!
Old 07-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

im very excited to start MUS!

Old 06-11-2012, 04:32 PM

Need Gamma Math u see

I am hoping to find a used Gamma set. This is our first year homeschooling and it is getting a little pricey and was hoping some dear sole might have one I could buy. Thanks
Old 06-11-2012, 04:47 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

check out homeschool classifieds
and craigs list and amazon
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Just make sure that whatever blocks you buy are
- the right color (yes, it matters. Or you spend a lot of time with a confused kid)
- the right size (This also matters for a lot of the book work)
- hollow

"Comparing me to those who are conventionally schooled is like comparing the freedoms of a wild stallion to those of cattle in a feedlot." -Colin Roch, 12 year old Homeschooler

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17