Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 03-22-2011, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member

CAT Test

My dd is going into 3rd grade next year and level #2 is what I ordered. Well I sent it into the mail when the test was complete and got it back yesterday. This is our first time EVER doing this and I know that people don't normally share their childs scores, but I'm really concerned, and am not sure if I should hold her back or not.

Reading - Vocab. Stanine 5
Compprehension. " " 4

Math - Computation " " 4
Concepts & Problems " " 2

Language - Auding Mechanics " " 4
Usage & Structure " "4
Spelling " "3

When I looked over her math skills, she got all of the computation right, but didn't finish before the time was up. Does this reflect how well she does? Do I need to look for different curriculum? Please help. Don't know what to do.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
Homeschool Spot Addict

I would especially read the first paragraph of this and then keep working. Call her 3rd next year, but work at whatever level she's able to do without getting frustrated.

http://www.cestesting.com/system/fil...nt%20Tests.pdf

Tests that have a percentile or ranked score are designed to weed out test takers in a variety of ways so that they can easily be ranked. They almost always use multiple choice questions, they use tricky questions, they don't test things that "all" second graders should know, and they purposely give more questions than the average student would be able to complete in the time allotted. The range of reference here is 1 thru 9, where 5 is average. Seeing that she has a lot of 4's, she's probably right on track. The 2 is just one score from one section. If you KNOW she knows how to do the math but seems to be slow, work on her speed. If you don't think she knows the material, do a little back-tracking. Don't hold her back a grade and make her feel stupid just because of one test. Maybe she was tired or bored or something. It's just a snapshot of a particular set of information at a particular time in someone's life. A lot of factors go into that score. All the language sections look good except spelling. Either they used tricky words or questions in the spelling section, or she reads better than she spells. Either way, that's normal. Reading is easier than spelling. I wouldn't worry about it.

* Batman (9yo, 6th, DYS, Aspie, ADD, neuro-motor delays) - Worship Music Leadership, Evidences, WW 8, LoF F&D + Physics, Web Programming (HTML5, CSS & JS), Bowling, Scouts

.....* Both - Pentime, Apologia Astronomy, MoH 1, ASL, Art, Piano, classic lit

* Robin (6yo, 3rd, PG, progressive hearing loss) - R&S Bible 5 & 6, R&S English 3, Reading Comp from Varied Sub Matter, Seq Sp 1, WW 3, LoF Elem, SS Latin 2, Gymnastics

Barefoot Books
Old 03-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member

She's actually doing 1st grade for spelling right now, and will do 2nd for next year. So I expected that score to come out quite low. She was also quite stressed over being timed for a test, which didn't help.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator
Homeschool Spot Addict

I wouldn't worry about it, then. She'll be fine. Just keep moving ahead.

* Batman (9yo, 6th, DYS, Aspie, ADD, neuro-motor delays) - Worship Music Leadership, Evidences, WW 8, LoF F&D + Physics, Web Programming (HTML5, CSS & JS), Bowling, Scouts

* Robin (6yo, 3rd, PG, progressive hearing loss) - R&S Bible 5 & 6, R&S English 3, Reading Comp from Varied Sub Matter, Seq Sp 1, WW 3, LoF Elem, SS Latin 2, Gymnastics

Barefoot Books
Old 03-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

If she's never taken a standardized test before, then the unfamiliar format can lower scores somewhat. Maybe next time get one or two of those "test prep" workbooks (like from Spectrum) and have her practice on the TYPES of questions that will be on her test. You can have her work on them a couple of pages a day until she's used to them.

Lots of 4's -- not terrible at all! I can't quite remember how CAT does the spelling, but you might practice spelling in the same way through the year, especially if you do spelling by dictation. You might make a sheet where she picks out the correctly spelled one, if that's how CAT does it. Or give her practice with sentences where you've underlined 3 or 4 words in it, where one of the underlined ones is misspelled (and a place at the end to mark if there's no mistake), if that's how CAT does it. Just because these are so different than how most people call out words to be spelled by dictation.

For Concepts and Problems, I think that's mostly recognizing things like math symbols (ft, m, yd, $, which digit is in 10's place, temperaure, etc.) and word problems. Maybe increase the word problems in her daily life? Just to have her be used to them.

I wouldn't hold her back, or change curriculum if what you have is working for you (and her). I'd prefer just giving her the experience of the formats of the questions, just working a page or two here and there into the whole of her school day. She didn't do badly -- I bet she does a whole lot better next time!

ETA: When do you run your school year? Most of these tests are normed for a Sept-June school year, or August-May, with the ps giving tests in late March or April. If your school year runs much differently than this, it can make your child's score look different than it would otherwise. For that reason, I always try to test as late in the school year as I possibly can...

"LIKE" Peter & Paul Academy at Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...31024760253273

Last edited by Lindina; 03-22-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

We usually run school from Sept.-Apr. or May. Lindina, are you saying you would test late April? I gave her the test this month because she was done the subjects needed to take the C.A.T. How does taking her test later in the year make her score differently?
Old 03-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

never took standardized testing here, so what do the numbers mean? IS that what grade level they scored on or what?
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherMom View Post
never took standardized testing here, so what do the numbers mean? IS that what grade level they scored on or what?
This test isn't the type that gives you a grade level score. It's the type that ranks you within grade level peers. If you lined up every 2nd grader who took that test, you'd get a bell curve with mostly 5's, a few 1's, a few 9's, and moderate amounts of everything in between. In this case, 4's are a little below average, but still good. She's what I would consider a "B student" if I were looking ONLY at this test.

Barefoot Books
Old 03-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

oh cool thats good then
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!
Old 03-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member

Ok, so I e-mailed Christian Liberty Press so I could get a better understanding of what I was looking at, this is what they said, "Good morning Tara,
I looked at her results and checked with our curriculum developer. Considering her scores she would assign mostly 2nd grade materials."
Really? I thought she did so well during the school year. Then the test came and not only was she timed but extremely nervous. So, basically she should take everything over again except for science and history because they didn't test in this area! So, I'm a little angry, and hurt right now with all kinds of thoughts (am I a bad teacher, wrong curriculum, ect.). Should I have her take a different test like the Hewitt(PASS), which is not a timed exam? State Law in Minnesota says that if a child falls below grade level they need to get assesed for learning disabilities. I can't see anything going on with her that would even suggest this! What do I do? This is my first time doing any of this, and I just feel like crying.