Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > House and Home

Old 12-16-2010, 10:52 AM

FlyLady?

Do any of you follow her methods for home cleaning and organization?

While I haven't fully integrated her methods, I still use some and love it.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

It helped me tremedously a few years ago. Totally changed my way of running my household. I do NOT follow all her methods or receive the emails. The biggest thing I like is the swish and swipe. My bathrooms are always clean now. Also making sure the kitchen is clean and sink is shinned before I go to bed. Makes waking up early nicer when I dont' have to clean the kitchen in the morning.
"A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture everyday of his life; in order that world cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul."~J.W. von Goethe
Old 12-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I used to use her oh.. 6 or 7 years ago? Something like that.

I do some of the things still as well. I love the idea of running through the house throwing stuff. And I work hard to put out clutter fires. She helped me set up my daily cleaning habits so that, even though we've moved and I stopped making lists, I still keep one in my head. I still throw on a load of laundry first thing in the morning, and try not to obsess about what I haven't accomplished etc etc.

I didn't like the 700 emails, or the sort of.. military camp orders. I also think the fact that I'm working harder to clean does NOT make my family work harder, despite what she says. My dh certainly could care less, and will even be the one to drop his dirty socks on the newly cleaned floor I did stop nagging him, and I do try not to be irritated....
"Education has opened many, many doors. However, there are still innumerable doors shut tight -- unopened yet. These are the doors of the future. Perhaps one of my children will open one of these doors -- I shall help give him the key." -unknown
Old 12-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I wanted to follow and probably need to, but the emails drove me crazy so after about 3 days of all of those I stopped. Plus, I can't stand to wear shoes in my own house! Any suggestions on following without all the emails?
DS 7 yrs. ~ 2nd
DS 5 yrs. ~ Kinder.
DC ~ Waiting for me to come Home
Old 12-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I dont' wear shoes in my home either. Everyone takes them off at the door. I don't like to wear shoes at all! I just read through the everything on the site and implemented what works for me.
"A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture everyday of his life; in order that world cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul."~J.W. von Goethe
Old 12-17-2010, 02:02 PM

I, too, signed up with FlyLady and immediately hated all the emails. I changed the email delivery to the "daily digest" format, but those are emailed (to me) at about 10 or 11pm each night. Not very helpful unless I just do everything a day behind (which is ok). I decided I'd just read through her website (there's a LOT to read), and glean what I could from it. I also found her book Sink Reflections at a discount, so I bought that, too. It's much better organized than the site and all the emails.

So right now I am taking her principles and applying them to my life as I can. I don't need daily emails to keep on track.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:56 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I used her for awhile and did alot of things and love it. I love how my bathrooms are always clean. Also I don't wear shoes in the house never have if I had my choice I wouldn't wear shoes at all. LOL

A women is like a tea bag you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water. Quote: By Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 12-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

I looked through her website and picked up a few things. I do most of the cleaning at night so everything is condensed to one time of day, but my house is still cleaner than what it was. I don't do the emails either.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I signed up for flylady yesterday and so far only a welcome email and one today, so not as bad as I thought! The ideas look good and we are in desperate need of organising in this house! so come 1st Jan we are sorting this house out lol I think our problem is doing a little every day, we seem to go made one weekend and then forget about it for a few months, until I cant take anymore of the mess and then we are all hands on deck again! so I really hope this can help us, not too sure about my shiny sink, and how early I will end up in bed (I really like my bed and need as much sleep as I can get - if I could I would sleep 8pm till 8am!!!)
ds2 jun 10
Old 12-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumtoo3 View Post
I signed up for flylady yesterday and so far only a welcome email and one today, so not as bad as I thought! The ideas look good and we are in desperate need of organising in this house! so come 1st Jan we are sorting this house out lol I think our problem is doing a little every day, we seem to go made one weekend and then forget about it for a few months, until I cant take anymore of the mess and then we are all hands on deck again! so I really hope this can help us, not too sure about my shiny sink, and how early I will end up in bed (I really like my bed and need as much sleep as I can get - if I could I would sleep 8pm till 8am!!!)

I think the biggest thing for me has been to get something done EVERY day. The only days I give myself 'off' are sick days LOL. And even then, I'm HORRIFIED at how bad it gets how quickly.

Good luck!
"Education has opened many, many doors. However, there are still innumerable doors shut tight -- unopened yet. These are the doors of the future. Perhaps one of my children will open one of these doors -- I shall help give him the key." -unknown