Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 09-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I've heard that Singapore is fast moving or that the textbook doesn't explain things well. Maybe I'll see that as we use the program more, but it seems more than adequate so far.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embassy View Post
I've heard that Singapore is fast moving or that the textbook doesn't explain things well. Maybe I'll see that as we use the program more, but it seems more than adequate so far.

Honestly, the speed didn't bother my son at all. He generally has to be shown how to do something once, and then he's got it. I think I picked up more on the speed issue because my daughter is so polar opposite my son in terms of math; she needs to go VERY slowly.

As to explanations, again, most of the time it was fine. There were just some times when they wanted something done a certain way, and it was a way I'd never seen before. The textbook just didn't explain those circumstances well for me at all. But, again, I don't have a mathematical mind; my husband always got exactly what they were trying to do.

The one thing I've always seen about Singapore is that people either love the program or hate it. I'm kind of in the middle. My son did fine with it; I was the one who just didn't like it. I can't diss the program as the intended audience of it did well under it, but I can't throw my arms around it because it had some quirks that just didn't mesh well with my way of doing math.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I finally found an actual sample of Singapore... wow!! It confused the heck out of me! It was just a few of various pages, and they all had word problems on them and seemed just... I don't know... kind of strange to me, I guess. I'm thinking that's not a good sign.

So I printed off a couple of sample pages of MM, and had DS look over them and do a few problems. Then, just bc I stumbled across it, I let him do a sample of Teaching Textbooks. He really liked both of those. After we discussed them at length, he said that since the MM was so much cheaper he'd be happy to use that one. Such a considerate boy sometimes!
So I guess I'm off to order MM -- please cross your fingers that this works well for us!!!
If it doesn't (and probably in a couple more years either way), I'll try the Teaching Textbooks.
Thanks for the advice everyone!!!! We both appreciate it so very much!!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

What is neat about singapore, it that is does allow students to do higher level math in their heads, which is neat, but it also has these "abstract problems" that are as confusing as heck but REALLY make a student work. Other word problems seem easy to my son after 2 years of these ones. We are moving slowly through the program (we do the text, workbook, and extra practice - in the higher grades, the extra practice is invaluable). My dd 8 scored in the 99th percentile on her math last year.

BUT, all that being said, it is odd to use, and they don't use the standard math I remember - most upper levels of the math use fractions to solve problems (it somehow avoids moving decimals back and forth). My ds was not strong on fractions (we switched over late for him) and bought Keys to fractions to help him out. The combo of the two was very successful. Fraction problems are very easy for him now, whereas I remember getting chills every time I saw one! The program does not make much sense in that we are used to an American way of doing math, and this is presented in the manner they do it in Singapore, so things might seem "wonky" if you are using personal reference as a comparison.

Extra bonus - the books are cheap, so you can try it out for half a year or year and see if it works for you.

Feel free to check out my blogs:
www.familyd.50megs.com and www.musewriting.blogspot.com

Love my new kitties!
Old 09-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I have tried many math curriculum and have finally settled on Mammoth math. I like that I can print out only the pages I need. I'll look through the topic that's being taught next and if my son doesn't have much experience with it I will go back and print of remedial sheets from the previous year. If he has had a lot of experience with the subject at hand I will skip pages. It might not be as necessary with my younger ones to do that since I will have it for most of the elementary years. It starts off slow though and I don't usually start math that early anyway.

This is so handy and with four children I ended up just purchasing the entire series. I can print off as many of each book as I want and what a deal that is! 4 kids and 5 and half years worth of math curriculum for $123. I don't know if you are that committed to it yet but I will say it gives me great flexibility to do it that way. It comes down to $5.60 per year per student.

Just some things to think about before you order.