Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 09-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Talking 3rd grade reading..what does it look like

My ds is reading at about a 3rd grade level. We don't have a set plan for increasing his reading skill. So what should I do. I have him read to me for about 5-10 minutes before bed, a book of his choice. I try to get him to read some tougher material to me. But he seems to be reading fine, nothing sticks out as a problem for him to sound out or anything. I ask him some questions and he can answer them. He reads all the time by himself. He read a chapter book for the first time the other day ( it had 70 pages and he read it in 2 days I checked and it was "rated" as a 3.5 level) But he doesn't want to read unless it has pictures etc. He is only 6.

So what do I do next. I was planning on using spelling power (or all about spelling I get them confused as to which one I am going to use) We have FLL for grammar.

I feel like he should be doing worksheets or something, because that is what they would do in PS, but we are not in PS!

Old 09-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

That's right, you are not in the public school! YOU don't have to do what they do in the public school! If you're comfortable with what he can do, fine!

Another choice is to get a Literature Guide. I like "Inside Stories". That way, he can read some "real" books, do vocab, and answer comprehension questions on them.

http://www.paperbackswap.com/Inside-...ok/1593630778/

www.freewebs.com/sprite59
Old 09-09-2010, 03:51 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

You continue to let him read!!! I LOVE THAT!!!!

Some books my son really enjoyed - and still does even though he's starting to pick chapter books without pictures! OH MY!!!! -

Horrible Harry Books

Magic Schoolbus Chapter Books (there are about 20 of them I think)

Nate the Great - although I was pretty selective about the ones of these he read

A to Z Mysteries

Captain Underpants (okay, many say this is not good reading, but, well, they are funny, and they are boy humor!!!)

Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot - these are AWESOME about sneaking in facts about the planets!!!

I think that's it! If I think of more, I'll let you know.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." - Gerald R. Ford, August 12, 1974
Old 09-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

my 6 yo recently discovered that he loves Geronimo Stilton books...those should do well for a 3rd grader
L - 2
Sign up for my essential oils newsletter and learn how essential oils can change your life - they sure changed mine.
www.jaynessa.vibrantscents.com
Old 09-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I would just continue to explore reading books he enjoys. You don't need worksheets. I would add a spelling program if he is done with phonics. Here is a list of reading books I put together for my son. Many of them are 3rd grade level. I've listed the reading level next to each book.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Hank the Cowdog!!!

www.freewebs.com/sprite59
Old 09-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Great!! Thanks for the encouragement. I will check out those links you all have listed. Embassy I have already used your book list from another thread! I love it. I hate our library web page it is so hard to reserve books, and with the LO I don't have time to search and find the ones they have. (gripe gripe gripe...)
Krista thanks for those suggestions. I forgot about captain underpants. My ds loves Calvin and Hobbes ( I don't think it is great for him, but it has gotten him reading). I will check out some of the other ones. He is reading Huckleberry Finn right now, and wants to build a raft. LOL
Old 09-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I wouldn't worry about worksheets. I think what he is doing is great.

ps. I still prefer books with pictures. I love to read and see what I am reading about.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I have a list of what my kids did for each grade on my familyd.50megs.com website. You can look there for reading ideas and such.

Feel free to check out my blogs:
www.familyd.50megs.com and www.musewriting.blogspot.com

Love my new kitties!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:19 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I think there is somebody in my library who is trying to drive me insane. I looked up the books I wanted then the next day I went to get them, and out of 10 books 4 were checked out that morning!!! What is the deal. We can't reserve them online with out paying a fee. so I just make a list an pick them up. Captain underpants was one of them. It is a new to the library book and somebody had just checked it out