Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Other Conversation

Old 08-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Exclamation J. Wile has left Apologia!

http://blog.drwile.com/
Apparently, he sold the company in 2008 - which I did NOT know! - and now the new owners are taking it in a direction he finds impossible to stay with! I gather from the comments/responses to comments that they're publishing a new worldview curriculum that is way more Calvinist than he can stay with, so he's left, just the other day. He's planning other works, which he hopes will be ready in about three years, but in the meantime will continue to speak at homeschool conventions and such. He says that anything that continues to have his name on it will be essentially unchanged from what he wrote when he wrote it, and if the company changes it in any substantial way, he'll insist they take his name off.

"LIKE" Peter & Paul Academy at Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...31024760253273

Old 08-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Thanks for the heads-up!

www.freewebs.com/sprite59
Old 08-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Yes, he sold it to Carmen Davis. I've spoken with Carmen a couple of times, and he's a very nice guy - so don't let Dr. Wile's recent decisions affect your view of Apologia. I may not agree with everything in their books, but they are well thought out and a good option for science.

Let's not hyphenate the church.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:37 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Dr. Wile says that the new owner is a nice guy and a Christian, it's just that their particular Christian views don't match. He has nothing negative to say about the new owner, just that their views don't match. Why did he sell it in the first place? do you know? I haven't been all over his blog yet... As far as he knows, the science books won't change - at least not right away, so if it continues to have J. Wile's name on it, it's still good science. I have not a clue about the elementary level books by Fulbright, whether these will change or not. It's the "What We Believe" books that are new that Wile has difficulty with.

Apologia website says the new owners' names are Davis and Rachael Carmen.

Last edited by Lindina; 08-19-2010 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

He has said he has no problem with the science portion of the company (at least right now). Anything that has his name on it will always be approved by him it is just the other worldview products that they are now handling.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindina View Post
Apologia website says the new owners' names are Davis and Rachael Carmen.
I know this is embarrassing, but I really didn't know which name was which when I spoke with him - and I couldn't find it online! He has one of those names that could be either way around! I thought his email stated 'Carmen' as first name, but some people use 'last name first' as their email convention. Then again, he might have told me over the phone and I just plain forgot! Oh, the travails of getting older.

Also, what would Calvinist versus some other viewpoint have to do with science books? Science is neutral on the matter. Other stances in the books are personal, such as teaching that anthropogenic global warming is all hokey, but opinion shouldn't appear in science books anyway. I confess, though, that authors often have a hard time watching their work change, so I can understand Dr. Wile's frustration.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

It has nothing to do with the science books! The Carmens are "branching out" from that. It's the new worldview books Wile has difficulty with. He says his vision is to have the students think about and determine their own worldview, because if you teach a specific worldview the kids may not choose to adhere to it because they don't "own" it. And the materials in the new worldview courses are too Calvinist for Wile's taste. That's what I gathered from reading the comments and responses on the blog. Wile has no problem with the Carmens as people, or businesspeople, or anything like that - he just says they tend to disagree on some specifics of Christianity is all.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Homeschool Spot Addict

Thanks for the head's up!

* Batman (9yo, 6th, DYS, Aspie, ADD, neuro-motor delays) - Bible Evidences, WW 8, LoF F&D + Physics, Web Programming (HTML5, CSS & JS), Bowling, Scouts

.....* Both - Pentime, Apologia Astronomy, MoH 1, ASL, Art, Piano, classic lit

* Robin (6yo, 3rd, PG, progressive hearing loss) - R&S Bible 5, R&S English 3, Reading Comp from Varied Sub Matter, Seq Sp 1, WW 3, LoF Elem, SS Latin 2, Gymnastics

Barefoot Books
Old 08-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

OK. Thanks for clarifying for me.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Thanks for the info. I need to read up on it.

He is educated who knows how to find out what he doesn't know. - Georg Simmel

Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational.
- Charles Schulz