Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 08-16-2010, 03:29 PM

Smile Check out my blog about our first day of first grade!

Hi everyone! Well, we made it through day 1 of 1st grade! We originally weren't going to start till September 1... but he kids asked over the weekend to start today, and I had everything ready, so I figured, Why not?!

I actually remembered to take pictures throughout the day, and posted a blog, about how it's going so far. Lets hope most days go this smoothly! (not much whining at all!)

The link to the blog is in my signature.

I was really excited that pretty much most of our plans for the day, only took about 3- 3.5 hours. Especially with 1st grade, I dont now how my kids could deal with trying to do 7 hours a day if my state required it! First we actually got a lot done in that short amount of time, but also with the exception of foreign language and spelling lists, or maybe doing more of what we already doing, I'm not sure what else we could do. Assuming that we spend no more than 4 hours a day on "formal" school stuff, I'm excited at the prospect of easily doing lots of nature walks and other outdoor activities ( while the weather is nice) and comfortably being able to take lots of field trips and other activities with out feeling like we are behind in any way!

our blog: http://learn-as-we-go.blogspot.com

Old 08-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

YEAH! i NEEDED TO SEE THAT!
I sent my dd to college class #1 today, she graduated at 16 in June. I was missing home school years and only have one boy left to teach at home. He starts back in September by his choice this year. We were discussing things I am going to get set up before we take a trip ( educational in some ways I am not telling him that hahah!) then will begin in September.
I loved the early years of learning! So much fun!
Well I am going to have to set up my Geography posters and Physics posters if I can find something like that! 8th grade!
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!
Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Wow her 1st College class! That must be a crazy feeling! I love your idea about throwing some ( sneaky) educational stuff into your trip! We like to travel quite a bit, and I was just tell my hubby the other day, that we should try to schedule an extra day before or after the plans we have for our trips to find some educational stuff for the kids in the area. I'm always amazed at the things you can find in other places! I know there is a lot to do where I live, but I suspect that it will be quite different for the kids to hear about native Americans when we visit Phoenix next month than it would be here!
Hope the 8th grade can still be fun for you and your DS!!

Last edited by kekka90; 08-16-2010 at 03:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Awesome first day! Thanks for sharing!!
Old 08-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I loved reading about your first day!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Thanks for sharing your first day. I hope all of them to follow are just as good if not better.
DS 7 yrs. ~ 2nd
DS 5 yrs. ~ Kinder.
DC ~ Waiting for me to come Home
Old 08-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I loved your first day as well...so much more peaceful than our first year ever was! Your children sound fantastic!

The Simple Schooling Online Classroom!

Free American History Curriculum!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Hey I saw ur blog & I love your table & chairs... is it from Ikea? I was thinking about getting one like that but I didn't want it to be too small for my 3 year old. I guess it's not since your first grader sits in it just fine! do u like it?

**wife to Brandon & mama to Travin and Caridyn**

::Proud to be a Jesus lovin', church goin', skirt wearin', homeschoolin', healthy livin', homemakin', husband kissin' kinda mama::

Check out our family blog!
Old 08-17-2010, 01:39 AM

Thanks everyone!!

Jenny~ it is from Ikea! We are big Ikea shoppers here! haha! We like it. It cleans up well ( even though I don't wipe it down quite often enough). It is a good size for the kids. Of course its kinda low for me to sit next to it, and try to show them things, but I'll live. I think i might get some little cushions for the chairs.. the kids haven't complained but they just seem to be kind of hard.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:38 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I'd have to go 4.5 hours to get one like that. They definitely need to open more IKEA stores. I hate that most of the good stuff they don't sell online!!!

**wife to Brandon & mama to Travin and Caridyn**

::Proud to be a Jesus lovin', church goin', skirt wearin', homeschoolin', healthy livin', homemakin', husband kissin' kinda mama::

Check out our family blog!