Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 08-01-2010, 04:29 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Flat Traveler Swap

This would be the place to sign up for a Flat Traveler swap. Please list how many Flats you're willing to host, how many you plan to send out, your childrens' gender if you think it will matter (like if your daughter is sending out a princess and you think a boy might not want to care for her. lol) and some interesting places you might visit with the Flat (feel free to be sort of generic if you don't want to tell the world where you live: "the zoo" rather than "the San Diego zoo.")

We'll swap addresses via PM once we decide who will host for whom.

For those unfamiliar with the concept, visit http://www.angelfire.com/empire2/fla...travelers.html

"Comparing me to those who are conventionally schooled is like comparing the freedoms of a wild stallion to those of cattle in a feedlot." -Colin Roch, 12 year old Homeschooler

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Last edited by Actressdancer; 08-01-2010 at 08:33 AM.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:32 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I have three boys who'd participate... each making one Flat. We'll host three at a time in return.

We have horses, so we'd take the Flats riding. We'd also go to the zoo, play in the creek, and maybe to Branson. It's also likely we'd end up at Ozark Medieval Fortress at least once while the Flats are here.

"Comparing me to those who are conventionally schooled is like comparing the freedoms of a wild stallion to those of cattle in a feedlot." -Colin Roch, 12 year old Homeschooler

Old 08-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Like....Flat Stanleys?

I know of the book but I dont know what you mean by "hosting" a flat...Sounds interesting, but how does it work?

(Generic warning though: 2yo EATS--or attempts to--anything that is not made of concrete. Is that gonna be a problem?)
Old 08-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzy View Post
Like....Flat Stanleys?

I know of the book but I dont know what you mean by "hosting" a flat...Sounds interesting, but how does it work?

(Generic warning though: 2yo EATS--or attempts to--anything that is not made of concrete. Is that gonna be a problem?)
Um.. yeah, I don't think our Flats would like to be eaten. lol.....

I added a link in the OP that sums up.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Signing up! Sounds like great fun! We have a State Park near us, so we'd probably go exploring in the woods, go swimming in the lake, have a picnic. We'd also travel to St. Joseph and visit the castle, feed the ducks, and see all of the animals they have there as well (also have authentic log cabins and so on as well now I believe).

I have one boy who will participate, and make one to send out! He wont mind swapping w/ a girl, I think it will be fun for him either way!

Question: So, I am planning on taking lots of pictures and journal entries. Do we make our own scrapbook type deal and send it, or just send loose pictures and pamphlets to let the kids make their own??

Rhoslyn- Our sweet baby Rose!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:58 AM

We would be interested, I have a boy who is 8 who would participate. We could host 2 at a time?
We live a large area with lots to do, so I guess what we do with our "Flat Traveler" would depend on the week that we have it!
Old 08-01-2010, 09:28 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg2006 View Post
Question: So, I am planning on taking lots of pictures and journal entries. Do we make our own scrapbook type deal and send it, or just send loose pictures and pamphlets to let the kids make their own??
It's usually up to the host family what exactly they put together. I've done little scrap books, but also just loose pictures and souvenirs. I like including a city/state map, travel brochures, post cards, and that sort of thing. It really depends on how hectic life is at that point.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:02 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actressdancer View Post
It's usually up to the host family what exactly they put together. I've done little scrap books, but also just loose pictures and souvenirs. I like including a city/state map, travel brochures, post cards, and that sort of thing. It really depends on how hectic life is at that point.
Alright! I'm already planning, and thinking about what to do, and when to do it! lol, I forgot we also have a local dairy that we can go to as well that has calves that you can pet as well.

Rhoslyn- Our sweet baby Rose!
Old 08-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I have a 5 year old girl that would like to do this. We are in the central valley of CA. We can host 1 flat friend.

By the way, we did this with my older two kids a few years ago and came across a cute site for girl/boy figures (paper dolls).

http://www.makingfriends.com/f_Friends.htm

We used the forms and cut/colored the outfits, then laminated them with our address on the back. They turned out really cute.

Last edited by mom_2_3; 08-01-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: add link
Old 08-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

This sounds like fun, but I'll have to get school started to see if the kids want to participate, and indeed, how many kids of which variety we'll have.

"LIKE" Peter & Paul Academy at Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...31024760253273