Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 07-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Anyone use Netflix for homeschool?

Just wondering if netflix has very many educational movies available (science and history documentaries)? I looked at the site but am wondering if they have more stuff available if you sign up??

Old 07-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

There are a lot of History Channel specials available (even on 'watch instantly'). I haven't used it yet, since we just signed up two weeks ago, but I have tons of stuff in my cue that I plan to use this year.

I haven't dug very deep yet, but I also know there are a lot of other documentaries (even Food, Inc!). If there's anything in particular you'd like me to check on, I'd be happy to look it up for you.

"Comparing me to those who are conventionally schooled is like comparing the freedoms of a wild stallion to those of cattle in a feedlot." -Colin Roch, 12 year old Homeschooler

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17
Old 07-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

I used it with DS when we studied Alaska. Had some good documentaries on instant play. We use it a lot for family night movies.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Our 2 biggest video resources are Netflix and the library. Netflix helps a lot. Try typing in the name of a specific documentary or subject. Sometimes they will have other suggestions based on what you typed in.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:39 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I have used some of their religious videos-they have alot of history, and they have seriously been adding to their collections. They have 2 major deals to sign on some major non-fiction producers in the very near future-so I'd think it's something to consider.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

YES! We're homeschooling for free and I count netflix as free cause it's our only form of TV, we'd be paying for it if we were homeschooling or not.

Once you sign up you see way, way, way, way, way, way more movies than the few they show you for each genre before you sign up.

They have a ton of educational stuff from rock 'n learn, leap frog, liberty kids, to lots of PBS and national geographic stuff, they have an algebra series, a geometry series, an ASL series, and just a TON of documentaries on everything imaginable.

I see 24 movies per page-
For science and nature documentaries I have 36 pages
historical documentaries 60 pages
political documentaries 24 pages

And that's just a couple of the categories for documentaries for DVDS
Under watch instantly ...
historical has 11 pages
science and nature has 6 pages
political has 8 pages

I also highly suggest a roku box.

I have a few posts on my blog about netflix/roku and how much I love them both. If you have any questions about either feel free to contact me. http://theskinnywallet.wordpress.com/?s=netflix
Old 07-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Yes. If you plan on watching - using Liberty Kids for American History - google it. THere's a viewing guide with all sorts of add on material and portfolio fodder.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." - Gerald R. Ford, August 12, 1974
Old 07-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbabe1968 View Post
Yes. If you plan on watching - using Liberty Kids for American History - google it. THere's a viewing guide with all sorts of add on material and portfolio fodder.
I had no idea! We were going to start that series next week!!! Now I have to print like crazy this weekend. lol.

"Comparing me to those who are conventionally schooled is like comparing the freedoms of a wild stallion to those of cattle in a feedlot." -Colin Roch, 12 year old Homeschooler

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17
Old 07-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

We watch it through the Wii but so far it has been for entertainment. When our school year begins, I will look to see what's on there for them. I have a few documentaries saved in my queue.

I know Crazymama loves using it for school.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbabe1968 View Post
Thanks for the tip, I did not know that.