Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Other Conversation

Old 06-14-2010, 08:21 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

What is your opinion on siblings homeschooling siblings?

I mean as a parent we homeschool to teach our children right? So, what is your views on say you have an 18 year old at home and a 6 year old, with many others in there also. Would you allow your 18 year old to teach your 6 yr old? To do the homeschooling, pick the curriculum, you know take over?

I wonder at times if this is what happens in large families with lots of children. Well one example of it, yet probably not to the extreme would be the Duggars. Their whole buddy system, I think it carries over to school also. Now I can see helping out, but I mean actually teaching them. Like teaching them to read, doing the whole thing with them.

What is your views on this? Do you think it is right? Or is it the responsibility of the parent no matter how many children you have?

Old 06-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I don't know about teaching them 100%. The parent really misses out on what the child is learning. That is also alot of pressure on the older child to perform, and succeed. I think the child can teach a certain sibject, but really I think it's the parent's job.

Rhoslyn- Our sweet baby Rose!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

That is my opinion also. Yet I have read a few things lately that lead me to believe this does happen more than we would like to admit it.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I'm thinking that in instances where the parent has no choice but to be out earning the living, much-older sibs - assuming the parents has hs'd them well in the first place and is emotionally/mentally/spiritually in a place where this would be feasible - might be able to homeschool younger sibs successfully, if older-sib is also willing to do it and the younger sib respects the older sib's authority. If they can babysit while the parent's gone, they should be able to see that the younger(s) do the work the parent has laid out. But I think the parent would need to go over everything and do the choosing and all that whenever possible.

I dunno - I was raised as an only, and I only had two, 9 1/2 years apart, so this is outside my personal experience. I know of one family where the oldest girl has homeschooled some younger sibs and one other unrelated girl, but the mom was actually present in the home most of the time (just really busy!), and it was for just a couple of years. Mom kept charge of the younger two or three and taught them, and the oldest girl had the others that were younger than herself and the unrelated girl who was same age as one of the middle sisters. It worked pretty well for them, apparently.

"LIKE" Peter & Paul Academy at Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...31024760253273
Old 06-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I don't think it's right for any older sibling to be more responsible than an occasional baby sitting while the parent runs to the grocery store (and I'm not talking grocery shoping, I'm talking she forgot to buy a pack of butter and needs to just grab that one thing).

Coming from the standpoint of being the older sibling who litterally raised a younger sibling while the parent worked (she totally could have worked a day job or even 3rd) it's not fair to expect a child to raise or educate a sibling.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:41 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I think it's a great idea, depending on the child. How else do they do it in large families? If I had young children, I wouldn't hesitate letting Rachael take over to some extent. It would be good training for her. Now, I feel I would have to supervise her work, but I feel she'd be quite competent.

To me, it's no different than giving an older child the responsibilities of making dinner or doing the laundry. If you're a hs'ing family, that's part of managing a household, and I expect my chldren to be able to manage ALL aspects of the household.

www.freewebs.com/sprite59
Old 06-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I don't think that is a bad thing - I mean look at what teachers were before the public school system was firmly established. Teachers could be 16, if they passed the test.

Also what if the older child has a strong desire to teach in some capacity later in life, that is a good opportunity.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKittyCat View Post
Also what if the older child has a strong desire to teach in some capacity later in life, that is a good opportunity.
...or have the desire to homeschool your grandkids?

www.freewebs.com/sprite59
Old 06-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymama View Post
I don't think it's right for any older sibling to be more responsible than an occasional baby sitting while the parent runs to the grocery store (and I'm not talking grocery shoping, I'm talking she forgot to buy a pack of butter and needs to just grab that one thing).

Coming from the standpoint of being the older sibling who litterally raised a younger sibling while the parent worked (she totally could have worked a day job or even 3rd) it's not fair to expect a child to raise or educate a sibling.
Agreed.

You had the kids, it's your responsibility.

Now there is nothing wrong with say the 6 year old isn't getting something, ask the 18 year old if they might try explaining this one concept. Sometimes a different person can reach the child and explain things so they get it. I'd ask dad 1st probably, but I see nothing wrong with a bit of help from an older sibling, but not 100% responsible.

Last edited by JosieB; 06-14-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Asking an older sib to help a smaller one on a specific thing is ok, but having the older pick out the curriculum and take full responsibility is not my cup of tea. The older sib has to have the right mentality to teach, the drive to do it right, and I don't think ALL kids posess that ability and drive. Example: I could have done it, I love kids. DH couldn't have, he's not good with any kids except his own. It's not his fault, they just don't seem to like him. lol

I'd agree that if the parent had all of those children then they should take responsibility for them in everyway...even academically. If you knew you couldn't handle teaching so many children, then why did you have them and vote to homeschool all of them..by yourself. Maybe a tutor could be hired?

Rhoslyn- Our sweet baby Rose!