Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 06-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I get Netflix through the Wii. I don't want to pay for another device.

"Comparing me to those who are conventionally schooled is like comparing the freedoms of a wild stallion to those of cattle in a feedlot." -Colin Roch, 12 year old Homeschooler

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Old 06-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

If we were just getting netflix as an 'extra' I wouldn't have paid for it either, but since Netflix is our only form of TV now, we did pay the one time $59 (on sale) for the Roku box (plus you couldn't stream through the Wii when we signed up and we have no way to hook our wii up to the internet, no phone line in the living room)

I'm glad we did, we watch the other channels offered through Roku daily. For us, it was worth that one time $59 for the other free channels, plus they have added several more free channels since we signed up a few months ago.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

ok...I have a question. and it is a dumb one.
if we give up the dish now, how do we watch the regular channels? do we have to get a converter box???
We are discussing the budget.
So what about this Roku box...do the channels you get depend on where you are?
Old 06-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I really like THC! I've listened in on some of the conversations with HSDLA shows, and they are very interesting! Also peeked in on Bio 101 today! Very interesting!

Rhoslyn- Our sweet baby Rose!
Old 06-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnsimple View Post
if we give up the dish now, how do we watch the regular channels? do we have to get a converter box???
My understanding is that your best bet is to ask around your immediate neighbors to find out what box(es) they use that work. Many do not work at all. And many areas won't get any channels no matter what boxes they try. It is a big issue around here and people are always griping about how they get zero channels now.

"Comparing me to those who are conventionally schooled is like comparing the freedoms of a wild stallion to those of cattle in a feedlot." -Colin Roch, 12 year old Homeschooler

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17
Old 06-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnsimple View Post
I don't know about the convert box thing-I will say I think it depends on how old/new your TV is??? My friend was talking to me about it but I didn't fully understand...

The Roku box I know about. We don't get any local channels. No local news or weather, no PBS or anything. We use the internet for that. Same channels are offered no matter where you live, nothing local, all internet based channels.

The Roku channels are internet channels. (like the homeschool channel)-it's not anything you can get on your TV through dish or cable. But you can view it on the internet. There are channels on the internet that make their own shows just like CBS or NBC makes their own shows.

http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store here is a list of the Roku channels.

Some you pay for, others are free. Netflix is one of their channels that you pay for. They also have sports channels and amazon, ect.

Then there are free internet channels. We watch mediafly a lot and some bliptv quite often. And we use the pandora radio all the time. The others we use a lot less often. Though I did just notice they have added 3-4 new free channels since we signed up about 3 months ago....so I'll have to check those out.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

We have the converter box. My only complaint is that sometimes the PBS signal doesn't work right. It's very frustrating when it happens, and it usually only happens with PBS.

www.freewebs.com/sprite59
Old 06-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

You can pay for basic cable - or get a converter box (no more rabbit ears) and I think get 12 channels that are considered "public viewing". Our basic cable I think runs are $20 or $30 a month (I wouldn't know-we have super cable whatnot because almost all the channels we use are not in basic cable (specialty content means specialty billing I guess.)

Ps-THANKS for the netflix info-we have found more and more great stuff on there and I was able to downgrade (not get rid off - oh well) our cable quite a bit (I know Sonita was in on that one!!)
Old 06-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Um....I have not been able to figure out the HSC channel......anyone think I have to order it?
Old 06-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Going back to the original post, THANKS. I didn't know about it and am really looking forward to using it.