Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 06-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

The Homeschool Channel

Just an FYI for those of you who aren't familiar with this free resource, you should check it out http://www.thehomeschoolchannel.tv/

I have been a fan on FaceBook for a while, but just watched the first show today. We just finished Biology 101: Avian Creatures. It was really intersting for my 7 year old, but I can see that it would also be intersting for high schoolers.

You can view the whole week's schedule (they repeat a lot) so you can plan accordingly. If you really like a particular show, you can purchase the DVD, but I think they are a little expensive.

They also do interviews with higher ups in HSLDA, devotionals, cooking episodes... a little of everything.

"Comparing me to those who are conventionally schooled is like comparing the freedoms of a wild stallion to those of cattle in a feedlot." -Colin Roch, 12 year old Homeschooler

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Last edited by Actressdancer; 06-02-2010 at 03:00 PM.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Thanks! I'll have to check it out!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:44 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

How much does it cost?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." - Gerald R. Ford, August 12, 1974
Old 06-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbabe1968 View Post
How much does it cost?
It's free... unless you buy the DVD sets. But they are a little pricier than I'm willing to consider.

"Comparing me to those who are conventionally schooled is like comparing the freedoms of a wild stallion to those of cattle in a feedlot." -Colin Roch, 12 year old Homeschooler

Old 06-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I love THC!!

I've exchanged a few emails with some of the higher ups, I'm not sure when, but I do know they are looking into making it a Roku channel as well, which I would LOVE. I watch it usually a few times a week, but I think we'd watch it more if we could watch it on the big screen and not just the computer.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:48 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySonita View Post
I love THC!!

I've exchanged a few emails with some of the higher ups, I'm not sure when, but I do know they are looking into making it a Roku channel as well, which I would LOVE. I watch it usually a few times a week, but I think we'd watch it more if we could watch it on the big screen and not just the computer.
I've never heard of Roku.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Thanks! I hadn't heard of it before!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

What is Roku?

And is it like Sprout - where you have to call your cable provider and ask for it? (we had to do that as its actually part of a specific "tier" in our cable and you have to get all of them....)
Old 06-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actressdancer View Post
I've never heard of Roku.
Love my Roku box. http://www.roku.com/ It's how we stream our Netflix to the TV. The reason I like it so much is Netflix is just one of the channels offered through the Roku box. They have several free channels and others you can pay for if you wish.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Orrrrrrr.....I could just check out the link. Der.