Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 05-10-2010, 01:09 PM
Veteran Member

First Grade Grammar

I need to find a grammar curriculum for my first grader. Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 05-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I have heard that McRuffy Press's first grade LA focuses on lots of grammar. It's what we will be using, but right now we are just heading into K.. using McRuffy of course
Old 05-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

We used First Language Lessons
ds4
Old 05-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

We used Horizons for Phonics but there program does start to introduce grammar and punctuation. This year we also used Sonlight's LA program.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:57 PM

I heard that A Beka had a good grammar program- I think we are trying that one for 2nd grade.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

2nd the recommendation for First Language Lessons. The first 100 Lessons are 1st Grade, the 2nd 100 lessons are 2nd grade. So it's one book for two years. And you can usually get it on Amazon, used, not too expensive.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." - Gerald R. Ford, August 12, 1974
Old 05-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

We used a Spectrum LA 1 (Mercer Mayer edition) from Barnes & Noble for first grade. It intro'd just enough grammar imho. It was a cute little workbook with all the Mercer Mayer critters and my son loved it. We then used Rod & Staff English 2 this year.

DD12, DD10, DS8
Old 05-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Winston Grammar looks great! I just received some materials from them to review for my curriculum website heartsathomestore.com. I don't have the reviews done yet, but I like it a lot. There are identification/clue cards included that help identify the parts of speech and mapping out the sentences. I have read some great reviews on it and plan on writing a good one myself. It is a little hard to explain, but you can visit their site for more info: http://www.winstongrammar.com/

I also really like Easy Grammar Systems, but they don't start until 3rd grade. I did Abeka Phonics with my daughter for 1st & 2nd grade. It is a very thorough program, but if you don't like a lot of worksheet type work, I wouldn't recommend it. There are 2 workbooks for their Language Arts: Letters and Sounds and Language. They are both basically phonics in my opinion. It did give my daughter a strong foundation to build on though and she is a great reader because of it.

Check out my curriculum store!
Hearts at Home Discount Curriculum
heartsathomestore.com

Get FREE Curriculum at Curriculum Share

Enter to Win Weekly Curriculum Giveaways at
www.homeschoolgiveaways.com

"...and the sweetness of the lips increaseth learning." Proverbs 16:21
Old 05-11-2010, 07:18 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Christian Light has a LA for first grade. It's a lot of phonics/spelling practice, but also introduces "naming words", "action words" and "describing words", and also phrases/sentences, capitalizing names and the first word of a sentence, and periods and question marks at the ends of sentences.

"LIKE" Peter & Paul Academy at Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...31024760253273
Old 05-11-2010, 08:06 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Yes, I have also been told that McRuffy 1st grade focuses on grammar. It also does the phonics, spelling, reading, writing and handwriting. From what I am understanding they are introduced to parts of speech, more punctuation (they introduced some in the K program), writing all of it. Now in the K program we have already learned about/ been introduced to capitalizing the first word in sentences and names, periods, question marks, apostrophe s, commas and exclamation marks.

We are using it this fall. I personally LOVE all of the McRuffy programs. I highly recommend them to all. The TE is the heart of the program! So, it is not one you can use without. If you do it will just seem like a collection of worksheets, the TE is essential!