Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 04-22-2010, 06:59 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Question Can you write off school supplies on your taxes

Someone told me (who doesn't homeschool) that I could write off on my taxes money spent on homeschool (curriculum, field trips, ect) Is this true?? I've never heard this in all my 6 years of researching homeschooling...

Old 04-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Not in my state and not on federal taxes. It does sound like a reasonable deduction though!

Homeschooling: Niece - Graduated 2013, Daughter - 11th grade, Son - 8th grade, Son - 2nd grade

Alice
Old 04-22-2010, 07:42 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

No. Nor textbooks, etc.

www.freewebs.com/sprite59
Old 04-22-2010, 08:22 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I didn't think so. But I think we homeschoolers should push for this! LOL I mean, I'll still have to pay school taxes next year, but my school aged kids won't be using those resources, so why not a tax break? I think it's a GREAT idea! You can write off expenses if you run your own business, why not your own school?
Old 04-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

The only way around it is if you own a day care otherwise its a no go. Unfortunately.

Thank you Lord for my blessings!

http://www.randomuttering.com
Old 04-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

It is always a trade off with the government: when you get something, you also give up something. We all pay taxes for public schools many of us will probably never use, but public school is a necessary default system for educating children. Although it would be the very last place I would want my child to be educated and I think the entire system needs to be seriously revamped, I am thankful that it is always an option if something in my life radically changed, as well as for children who would not be educated any other way. In a way it is an educational welfare system, so just because I am not receiving any welfare subsidy from the government does not mean that I get a a special credit on my taxes.

My Blog: My Lord, Please Sanctuary Me

HS 8yrs - 1 DD 11yo
Approach: Classical / Journaling / Living Books
Math: Singapore Math and Math Mammoth
Languages: French, Classical Latin, Classical Greek, and Sign Language
Elective Unit Studies: BF History of the Horse and BF History of Classical Music
Music: Piano, Violin, and Guitar
Clubs: 4-H Horse and Pony Club
Old 04-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuzor View Post
The only way around it is if you own a day care otherwise its a no go. Unfortunately.
Even then, I would strongly advise against claiming items you bought for your personal homeschooling. In essence you are scamming the government claiming personal expenses in your business expenses. I would not want to be the one who was audited who did such a thing.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymama View Post
Even then, I would strongly advise against claiming items you bought for your personal homeschooling. In essence you are scamming the government claiming personal expenses in your business expenses. I would not want to be the one who was audited who did such a thing.
I agree. I run a daycare and do deduct things but its used for daycare. I will never deduct things especially used for homeschooling. There is a fine line though as There are things i use for both and my tax lady said go ahead and deduct it since it is used for daycare half or more than half the time. I just don't abuse it and over use the deduction courtesy.
DD (10)
DS (5)
Little girl Due March 27, 2014
Also a child care giving, homeschooling mom.https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iola-...09161029117858
Old 04-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2kids View Post
I agree. I run a daycare and do deduct things but its used for daycare. I will never deduct things especially used for homeschooling. There is a fine line though as There are things i use for both and my tax lady said go ahead and deduct it since it is used for daycare half or more than half the time. I just don't abuse it and over use the deduction courtesy.
I can see claiming a toy or something like construction paper that you are going to use in the daycare.. and your kids may use some too, but I agree there is a fine line and I wouldn't want to be the one to cross it.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I think some states have an itemization for teachers, I think in MO it used to be 250 a year they could take off, if they bought school related supplies with their own money. I don't for sure though the details. I do know alot of PS teachers do spend out of their own pocket for things. Thing is it is a itemization, many people don't itemize, so not sure if it would even help them. I don't know if a parent who homeschools counts as a 'teacher' or not.