Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 03-28-2010, 02:33 PM

abeka k4?

I am thinking about purchasing the abeka k4 program to use with my daughter starting in august. I will be homeschooling her instead of sending her to public pre-k. I would just like to get a feel from the program from those of you who have used it.

Does this program cover all subject areas?

Do I need to purchase the complete kit or are there parts you found you didn't need?

How much time do you spend on this daily? I will have a 1 year old also, so it will not be constant attention on school during the day.Can you give me an example of what your day looks like?

Did you LO/you enjoy this curriculum?

Do you know of anywhere I could purchase this curriculum used?

Any other info you can share!

Thanks,

Jenny

Old 03-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

We used A Beka K5 and while I wouldn't use the whole kit if I had to do it again, I have to say that it is a good program. I would consider it complete. You can go to A Beka's site and they will give you a list of everything that comes in the kit. You can also purchase pieces.

Ems liked A Beka but after two years of using it as a boxed set, I decided to mix and match.

Personally, I do not think you need to use a whole kit for pre-K. You can teach what is needed through reading to your child, games, drawing, painting, play dough, reading some more, easy free printables, and don't forget reading. LOL

He is educated who knows how to find out what he doesn't know. - Georg Simmel

Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational.
- Charles Schulz
Old 03-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I purchased the K5 program this year for my dd. I used the video program only because I was also hsing a 9th grader and knew I would need extra help. She enjoyed the program, but I could have used free worksheets from the internet. We started in October and she has already finished the program. I used A Beka with my 9th grader since K and really like the curiculum. Would I use the K5 program again? Probably not. I would put together my own and go from there. Just my opinion.

Son - Elijah, 18 - Graduates this year from ps
Daughter - Gianna, 9
Husband - Don - Best husband in the world

Matt. 11:28 Come unto me...and I will give you rest.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator
Homeschool Spot Addict

I also bought K5. If you look at the scope & sequence, you'll see that K4 and K5 are almost identical except that K5 comes with more stuff. IMO, that means more bang for the buck. You can work through it as slowly as you need to without having to buy everything again the following year. We opted to get the social studies, science, and art (didn't come in the kit). I liked them.

* Batman (9yo, 6th, DYS, Aspie, ADD, neuro-motor delays) - Worship Music Leadership, Evidences, WW 8, LoF F&D + Physics, Web Programming (HTML5, CSS & JS), Bowling, Scouts

.....* Both - Pentime, Apologia Astronomy, MoH 1, ASL, Art, Piano, classic lit

* Robin (6yo, 3rd, PG, progressive hearing loss) - R&S Bible 5 & 6, R&S English 3, Reading Comp from Varied Sub Matter, Seq Sp 1, WW 3, LoF Elem, SS Latin 2, Gymnastics

Barefoot Books
Old 03-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I am using K4 with my dd. I really like it. She is learning how to read short vowel words. She is also learning how to count, I am not using all the extra stuff but there more you can order. Her favorite is art. She loves to use the scissors! I think it just gives them a jump start on K5 so they can truely learn the letters and sounds. The Abeka program if you stick with it has a great phonics and math program especially for the younger grades.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Opps forgot to answer about the time spent .... We usually spend 1 to 2 hours a day at this point. About right for her attention span.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:06 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Barbara, Gianna loved the art, too. I have a large file of the things that she did with the art. She would spend about 1 - 2 hours a day on the school and then she would continue to ask for more as the day wore on. She would finish about 3-4 days at a time. I am now getting things off the internet to keep her busy. I loved A Beka for the other grades and like I said, used them up to grade 9th, there were a few exceptions that I would try, but kept coming back to A Beka.

Son - Elijah, 18 - Graduates this year from ps
Daughter - Gianna, 9
Husband - Don - Best husband in the world

Matt. 11:28 Come unto me...and I will give you rest.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Ems also loved their arts and craft book.

As for the reading program, I think it is one of the best when it comes to teaching your child to read. Some people do not care for it but I have heard good things about it from many people who have used their reading program.

He is educated who knows how to find out what he doesn't know. - Georg Simmel

Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational.
- Charles Schulz
Old 03-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Link to Abeka's Scope and sequence. Abeka ROCKS!

My boys did Abeka K-12 and graduated in 2008 from Abeka Academy!

http://www.abeka.com/Resources/PDFs/...ndSequence.pdf

Life's too short for drama and petty things.
So kiss slowly, laugh insanely,
love truly, and forgive quickly!
Katie

Successfully home schooled using Abeka for 13 years. Proudly announcing my two sons have graduated from Abeka Academy!

My beloved Princess who blessed us with two years of her beautiful presence.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...w/Rambo010.jpg (((( )))))

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...Picture008.jpg

Don't Feed the Trolls!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:04 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I don't know about you all but I think K4 and K5 are my favorite ones to teach. The kids just seem to light up when they realize in little steps that they can read. And of course I love art too! I have used Abeka for my girls up to 7th grade and it is a wonderful curriculum. The only complaint is all the writing that seems to go with it. I usually adjust that a little so the kids don't get so tired.