Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

SOTW or TOG?

I am starting to look into what I'll be buying in the next month or two for school next year and while my 5yo loves FIAR I just don't think it will be enough for him and my 6yo next year. I was looking at Story of The World and Tapestry of Grace online and I like both of them. It seems TOG uses more books though than SOTW or am I just not seeing a resource list for SOTW? If you have used one or both of these can you tell me what you liked and/or didn't like about them? I'll be teaching a modified 1/2nd grade (depending on which subject) so I prefer something that can be used together and just have a few modifications.
L - 2
Sign up for my essential oils newsletter and learn how essential oils can change your life - they sure changed mine.
www.jaynessa.vibrantscents.com

Old 01-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Beyond FIAR?

Sorry, I haven't used any of these, so I can't advise.

"LIKE" Peter & Paul Academy at Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...31024760253273
Old 01-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

We have not used TOG or SOTW. What is SOTW?

Have you looked into My Father's World? I have not used it but wish I did. It looks great.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Check out Illuminations by Bright Ideas Press, the publisher of The Mystery of History. ACK - looks like the ILM page isn't working! I can post more info if you want. I can post TONS of info, if ya want.

MoH is biblical history right alongside world history. ILM jumps from it and creates a language arts program, including literature studies with guides comparable to pandia press. It also schedules grammar, spelling, science, vocabulary, geography, and I'm probably leaving out something... but if you only use it for the literature guides, it's totally worth it.

Again, I've more info (than you could ever possibly want or need :P ) If you want it!
My Faith and Family Blog, TOS Crew
MISS BIG FAT BOSSY HEAD!
Eng: Rod & Staff, English From the Roots Up, ETC, FLL
Math: Math-U-See Reading: BIP Illuminations
Bible: Christian Liberty Press, Vos storybook
History: Mystery of History Science: SOS, cub scouts
Old 01-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

hmm, never heard of Mystery of History or Illuminations and their website doesn't like me...could you tell me more about it and what it's like? wish I could get the website to work so I could see sample.
L - 2
Sign up for my essential oils newsletter and learn how essential oils can change your life - they sure changed mine.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I love SOTW! Both of my kids find it very interesting and they love all the activities in the Activity book. That's where all the book lists are, btw. They are listed in each chapter, both non-fiction and fiction books to go with each subject.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

amylynn, how many additional books beside the activity book and the main book do I need to use the program, and are the books I need easy to find in the library or would I need to buy them?
L - 2
Old 01-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Sotw, tog, & moh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birbitt View Post
...Story of The World and Tapestry of Grace...TOG uses more books though than SOTW or am I just not seeing a resource list for SOTW? If you have used one or both of these can you tell me what you liked and/or didn't like about them?...

amylynn, how many additional books beside the activity book and the main book do I need to use the program, and are the books I need easy to find in the library or would I need to buy them?
We've used both. We used TOG for grades 8, 5 & 1. We used it for nine weeks, and we all hated it. There was so much for me to read from the teacher's pages just to be ready for each week's lesson. I rarely got through the reading, even though it was history and I love history. Anyway, my kids have always been homeschooled, and we have used lots of different curricula, but TOG was the only curriculum my kids begged me to sell (so that I wouldn't be tempted to pull it out again to use?).

We used SOTW for grades 2 & 5, I think. My boys thought it was okay, but they loved Mystery of History, which we were using at the same time. We used MOH 1 not long after it was first published, so the extras weren't available then. I hope to use it with my younger kids in a couple of years and get the lapbooks to go with it.

You need to buy books for TOG, so it can get expensive. You need to have specific books with it (or at least find ones that have similar info). You need the books at specific times, so buying books works much better than depending on the library having the books when you need them.

You don't *need* any other books to use SOTW (or MOH). If you like to have supplemental books, then you may want to buy some books or use books from the library. Unless you have an awesome local library, you may have a difficult time finding the specific books that are listed, but that doesn't mean you can't find other books that are just as good.

I used FIAR with ds#1 when he was in kindergarten. I didn't continue with it into first grade, because I didn't think it went deep enough. I wish the free lapbooks at Homeschool Share had been available then. If I had kids of younger-elementary age again, I would try FIAR with lapbooks.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Thank you for that information, how many other books are recommended with MOH and SOTW?
L - 2
Old 01-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynn View Post
I love SOTW! Both of my kids find it very interesting and they love all the activities in the Activity book. That's where all the book lists are, btw. They are listed in each chapter, both non-fiction and fiction books to go with each subject.
I'm considering that one for my kids. How easy are the books to find and is there much prep work for the teacher?

The work can wait while you show the child the rainbow, but the rainbow won’t wait while you do the work.”
~ Patricia Clafford