Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Other Conversation

Old 01-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Copy machines

Do any of you have them to do your copies or do you just use your printer? I HATE running to the library but i wonder if the cartridges last awhile and if their really expensive mostly my concern is how much ink they take to run. Printer ink is high enough......
DD (10)
DS (5)
Little girl Due March 27, 2014
Also a child care giving, homeschooling mom.https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iola-...09161029117858

Old 01-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I use the all in 1 printer/fax/scanner/copier and love the convenience....I got it probably in July, and it's now telling me my black ink is low....and I use it a TON, so I'm actually pleased to have lasted this long.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mom04 View Post
I use the all in 1 printer/fax/scanner/copier and love the convenience....I got it probably in July, and it's now telling me my black ink is low....and I use it a TON, so I'm actually pleased to have lasted this long.
what brand do you have because i have the lexmark all in one and it uses ink like crazy....
DD (10)
DS (5)
Little girl Due March 27, 2014
Also a child care giving, homeschooling mom.https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iola-...09161029117858
Old 01-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

We have a printer/copier/fax machine and I LOVE IT!!! It doesn't use a ton of ink unless I make a lot of color prints- it is still worth it though! We have a HP OfficeJet Pro and have had it for a few years.

The work can wait while you show the child the rainbow, but the rainbow won’t wait while you do the work.”
~ Patricia Clafford
Old 01-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Mine is Epson....I bought almost the cheapest one lol....I change my mind a lot, so I didn't want a major expense.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I have a Lexmark all in one printer and I get mine refilled at Walgreens for $5.00 ( that is with the coupon). I just replaced the original ink cartridge ( it was 4 years old) and I paid $22 for new color and black ones ( at Office Max with my dh's business discount card).

To save ink on the Lexmark just use the ligher/darker button. I use light when I first get the ink filled and gradually go darker if I see it getting too light on the paper.
Sometimes letting it sit for a few minutes after you did say, 20 copies, and then printing more copies after that helps also for some reason...at least with mine.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.
Buddha
Old 01-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I have a black and white photo copier that I got for free from a local private school that was upgrading their machines. I LOVE it, although I wish it did color. The toner for the copier runs me about $17 and I have only had to replace it once during the 2 years I have had it. My printer ink costs me that much and I have to replace it every 3-4 months....so my copier is really saving me money.

Wife to 1 incredible husband
Mom to 7 crazy, insane but wonderful children
DS~Chairman~13 Thinks he is always in charge
DD~Generosity~11 always helping others
DS~Astute Lad~10 uncannily perceptive
DD~Persistence~8 very determined
DD~Sweetness~5 sweet girl
DS~Sunshine~3 always smiling
DS~Tiny Explorer~1 into everything

~~My blog~~
Old 01-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Our printer makes copies; it has me VERY spoiled. However, I also have a card from the co-op that allows me to get copies at Copy Max for I think .04/pg, less than half what the regular price is. So while the kids are at piano, I often make a stop and copy a whole bunch that I know I'll be needing. This week I need to make two copies of the next two Wordly Wise lessons, plus one of the next two tests in R&S English books 4 & 6.

www.freewebs.com/sprite59
Old 01-07-2010, 07:04 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

We have a Lexmark AIO - I agree, the ink cartridges are sooo expensive. My DH FINALLY convinced me 2 years ago to get a laser printer. I wish I'd listened sooner. So much cheaper to print, it paid for itself.

I scan on the Lexmark, then print on the laser printer. I find this works great because the image is still on my computer, and if I don't print enough, or someone is heartbroken because they "messed up" their paper, or if my 3yo decides he MUST map the boundaries of the Roman Empire with his brothers...it's no big deal to print one extra (especially because I don't have to get in the car).
She seeketh wool and flax and worketh willingly with her hands... Proverbs 31:13

My website
Old 01-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Homeschool Spot Addict

we keep falling for "cheap" and I'm fed up with HP!!

Our walgreens does refills for $9 with a coupon so I wish we had your coupons crystal.