Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 12-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Anyone using Apologia for Physical Science?

I'm in the process of creating online quizzes for each module in the Apologia Physical Science course. Each quiz includes 200 questions, with a hint and detailed answer explanation for each question, so it's taking time. Still, once done, students will be able to take the quizzes over and over, seeing different questions on every attempt, to ensure they thoroughly understand the material.

I'd like to know how children respond to the questions I've put together, so does anyone use Apologia for Physical Science and would you be willing to let your child take these quizzes? I've finished the quiz for Module 1 and should be finished with Module 2 shortly. My goal is to have quizzes for the first eight modules finished by the end of the year.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

My oldest is using General Science now. I'd definitely be interested when she gets to Physical Science. I don't dislike the Module tests with Gen. Science BUT my daughter does get discouraged that there are so few points per test. She took the Module 4 test today and got 18 of the 22 points....an 82%. (I should mentioned that although she is a great student, she DESPISES science generally but so far is not completely dreading gen. science).

Anyway, her science test grades fluctuate quite a bit. Module #1 was a 95 (missed one question), Module 2 was an 80, Module 3 was a 92 and then today's 82.

I think having something like you are working on would be more encouraging to her and would allow her to better demonstrate her knowledge (or lack thereof....lol).

We're actually planning to use Gen Sci and then Physical over her 3 middle school years rather than just 2 so we won't be ready for Physical until next year at this time probably.

Good luck with your project.
Rhonda

DD12, DD10, DS8
Old 12-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Thanks Rhonda. I'll post links to each of the module quizzes as I finish them, so you can access them at will. I'm eager to get some feedback.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Rhonda, do they now have points indicated on the module tests? I have the first edition of GenSci, and I had to come up with my own scheme of points because none were indicated. For example, a definition I gave one point, or a blank to fill, or a diagram label, or a true/false. Matching where there are more choices than numbered items, I gave 2 points each, but matching where the items/choices are even I only gave one. A List to be written was one point each item in the list, and short answers were 3, with longer answers worth 5. So a true/false with an explanation could be 4 (one for t/f and three for explanation). This way, I could give partial credit for some items, even the one-point ones, as I felt was appropriate. (I say was because I'm not using it this year.)
Old 12-13-2009, 11:15 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I'd like the links, too, Steve! Faythe is also doing general this year, but it's VERY slow going.

www.freewebs.com/sprite59
Old 12-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindina View Post
Rhonda, do they now have points indicated on the module tests? I have the first edition of GenSci, and I had to come up with my own scheme of points because none were indicated. For example, a definition I gave one point, or a blank to fill, or a diagram label, or a true/false. Matching where there are more choices than numbered items, I gave 2 points each, but matching where the items/choices are even I only gave one. A List to be written was one point each item in the list, and short answers were 3, with longer answers worth 5. So a true/false with an explanation could be 4 (one for t/f and three for explanation). This way, I could give partial credit for some items, even the one-point ones, as I felt was appropriate. (I say was because I'm not using it this year.)
Yes, the 2nd edition Teacher's Answer Key indicates the point value of each question and where partial credit is OK (although obviously it's my child and our school so I can change that but so far it's been right on). I did just realize after the Module 4 test, that the author did intend for the grading scale to be a 10 point scale (90-100 A, 80-99 B, etc). This is different than what I normally use but since the tests have so few points, etc...I've decided to use it for science this year.

DD12, DD10, DS8
Old 12-14-2009, 10:05 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
I'd like the links, too, Steve! Faythe is also doing general this year, but it's VERY slow going.
I've published the quiz for Module #1. Go to www.sharedstudy.com. To ensure you don't conflict with others using the same account, it would be best to create your own student account. Then select the Quiz tab, and you should be able to register for 'Physical Science Module 1'. Every time the student takes the quiz, she sees a different set of questions. Everything should be self-evident.

If you would prefer to use a dummy account, log in as 'spot-student' and use the password 'homeschool'. Select the Quiz tab, and just click on the name of the quiz.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

OK - I've just finished the quiz for Module #2. Phew! For anyone interested, I've now published quizzes for modules 1 and 2 of Apologia's Physical Science book. I'd be most grateful for any feedback.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Hi Steve,

This sounds great! We will definitely be checking this out. dd did physical science 2009, ds will start it feb 2010. dd is a good student, and did very well with it. ds has to work a little harder, and does not test well, so this sounds like just the right thing at the right time. So thanks! I will let you know how it goes....maybe you could pm me your email address?

Did you know that there is a yahoo group for apologia science? I'm sure the folks there would be interested.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

We will be starting it soon. My son was bored with his other science so we are stepping up a grade. I felt their was no sense continuing something he wasn't getting anything out of or should I say has already gotten it. So we will be starting it hopefully within the next week or two.