Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 08-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

First day of school ideas?

I have been racking my brain for the past week of things we can do for the first week back to school such as crafts or recipes.

Everything I have in books or can find online, is geared more towards public schools such as school buses or getting to know your class mates.

Does anybody have any ideas on what I can do? My daughter is 5 and we are starting kindergarten.

Thanks!

Old 08-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I would break out the sidewalk chalk and let her do a lesson on the sidewalk! Then go for a walk looking for let's just say, anything that begins with the letter, "A" or whatever the lesson is for the day. Let her pick what snack she'd like to help you make (whatever is her favorite, maybe?) Have her draw a picture of herself or some fun activity you did on the first day. Let her use some special stickers, glue or glitter to make it special for her. Kindergarten is so much fun! Enjoy every minute, because it goes fast!
Old 08-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I bought a little 5x7 canvas and finger paints.....we're going to do his handprint as a craft....I always want to remember the 1st day of kindergarten.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

may a scrap book style page, Take a photo of kger doing school work, showing up at home for school..
Oh I forgot we also walk around the block the first day for sure! Then I take pcitures of them coming up the walk and at the door ready for school!

draw a picture of "what I did this summer"
Stuff like that!
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!
Old 08-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mom04 View Post
we're going to do his handprint as a craft
I was going to suggest this. You can make your own play dough or by some clay and when it is dry, paint it.

You can also make silhouettes. Those are fun and you will treasure it forever.

He is educated who knows how to find out what he doesn't know. - Georg Simmel

Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational.
- Charles Schulz
Old 08-31-2009, 05:00 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I was having the same problem. I bought some new school supplies and busted out the markers and stickers and let them decorate. I found some great books on homeschooling that we read. We went shopping and they got to pick out a new outfit for the first day and we did pictures. I also found ABC cookies and tater tots- something I would NEVER buy- and we had those to eat with our meals. Hope your first day goes well!

The work can wait while you show the child the rainbow, but the rainbow won’t wait while you do the work.”
~ Patricia Clafford
Old 08-31-2009, 10:34 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Thanks for all the ideas.

We did get a new outfit and we went outside for some pictures. We made a special breakfast and have a special lunch picked out.

We also made a Art Folder. I took a piece of poster board, folded it in half and let her decorate it. All art we want to keep will be kept in here.

I also blew up some ballons, threw them on the floor and opened the door and let her attack them. I also filled up a new pencil box with new supplies and put her favorite candy bar in there, a Reese's Cup.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:59 PM

I had my kids wear a school uniform, which may seem ridiculous. But I felt that my kids behavior was strongly related to what they wore. If they went to church in dress-up clothes, they behaved better than if they wore athletic shoes and blue jeans. If they came to school in pajamas, they acted sleepy at their desks. And my first born daughter loved clothes, and would change them several times a day (but not hang them back up) while my younger three wouldn't change their clothes at all, ever! (Ewww). So I told them we'd use a uniform. My oldest rolled her eyes, and said, "yeah, like what?"
I said, "corduroy overalls and red tee shirts". Guess what? That week, there was a HUGE SALE on Oshkosh B'Gosh corduroy overalls!! I got them for $3 / pair, when they were usually more like $25/ pair. I bought tons of pairs. I bought them in too-big sizes for future years, too.
What does this have to do with "first day of school activities"? Well, decide what you want your child to wear for school (some people do school in their pajamas) and then you can get that special first-day of school outfit with pictures.
One other thought about a uniform - you don't get nearly as many annoying questions when you take your kids out in public if they are in a uniform. In just play clothes, everyone will ask you why your kids aren't in school, but if they are wearing a uniform, then strangers just assume they're on a field trip!!! ha-ha.
We used to do a "back to school picnic". We'd take our school books and a lunch to a state park, and school there for our first week. Just to sort of celebrate the fact that we were free to do so, while their PS friends could not.
Lorelei
Old 08-31-2009, 05:39 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I'm not going to make my son wear a uniform just so strangers stay out of my business. Whatever works for you though.