Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 07-28-2009, 02:46 AM
I'm new

First Day of School Celebration?

I'm looking for ideas to celebrate our first day of the year of school at home. I've homeschooled 2 years and never celebrated the first day. I'm feeling like it's high time I did! I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions. My kids are k and 2nd grade. (And a 3 yr old)

thanks

Hollie

Old 07-28-2009, 06:17 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Last year my daughter and I were in Florida helping with my in-laws due to their health, and we went to the zoo the first day of school there.

It was great because there was really just no one at the zoo. The workers were just looking for something to do and took quite a bit of time just talking to my daughter about whatever she wanted to know. Even the animals seemed to be looking to amuse themselves. One otter even danced with her, following her movements as she walked shifted her weight from one foot to the other in front of the tank. These are just some things that would not had happened if a number of other children and adults had been there. I did see just a few young ones out with grandparents but no homeschooling families, probably because it was right after a hurricane and there had been quite a bit of flooding.

This year, I have not planned anything in particular yet, because it depends on if I have the car or not.

My Blog: My Lord, Please Sanctuary Me

HS 8yrs - 1 DD 11yo
Approach: Classical / Journaling / Living Books
Math: Singapore Math and Math Mammoth
Languages: French, Classical Latin, Classical Greek, and Sign Language
Elective Unit Studies: BF History of the Horse and BF History of Classical Music
Music: Piano, Violin, and Guitar
Clubs: 4-H Horse and Pony Club
Old 07-28-2009, 06:26 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

We got lucky and our church planned a pool party for the afternoon of the day we start back. Public school starts the next day so it is a back to school party. I will be helping at it because it is at my sister's pool. We will go out for lunch that day too. Nothing huge just Wendy's. We will make it a fun day looking over all our new material. We may do something nutty like design FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL AND I AM STAYING HOME! tee shirts and wear them to the pool party. We might bake something for the party too. Cupcakes sound good and they love decorating those. Fun stuff for sure.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

I love the idea of making tee shirts!

We love because HE first loved us. 1John 4:19
Old 07-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member

I was looking for something too. I did say the first day that the PSs go back to school(8/31) will be a Zoo day for us. But we're starting 1 week before the PS does(8/24), so I like the idea of baking cupcakes to decorate on the first day we start HSing. Just something little and exciting. I can have them do all of the baking And decorating, of course!!! Although, this being our first year, just to start doing our curriculum will be exciting enough for them, they really can't wait to start.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I hand out the books , remind them of our school plans and rules and then we go to the movies! We get the whole place to our selves usually!
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!
Old 07-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Our first day is next week but I am not doing anything special. No one needs new supplies or folders or anything. Just another day. Now on the first day that the public schools go back we are doing something special. While the kids are walking off to school, we are loading up to have breakfast out in town. Depending on the weather, it's been rainy) we will head to the a beach.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I think we will make chocolate chip cookies for a celebration this year, it will be a first day of one child homeschoooling for us, so we need some good stuff!
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!
Old 07-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I talked over with the boys what they wanted to do. So they decided we will start out with a box day. The boxes of school items will arrive sometime this week but they wanted to save their box day for the first day of school. They also want hotdogs for lunch and pizza for supper! After they explore all the new school supplies we will play games the rest of the day.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

It all sounds like fun to me. I can't wait.

Tags
first day