Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling in the News

Old 11-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Do you think it'll change...

Okay, I don't know exactly WHERE this should go. Maybe politics, but I was thinking hs in the news may be more appropriate.

Do you think we have anything to worry about regarding our legal right to homeschool with Obama as pres?
I am hoping that he'll be so distracted with working on other parts of legislation that he'll not put much thought into homeschool.

I was thinking about it, and honestly I don't think that he'd ever be able to legally ban homeschooling. There are just too much of us that would stand up and protest. But do you think he would try to put a lot of restrictions, requirements, etc on us?

Do you think he'll start trying to make us use the same curriculum that schools do? Do you think that testing will become stricter and required by more states (or all states across the board?) Do you think that hs laws will go from being state mandated to being federally mandated?

Just curious about your thoughts.

(((ps...my ds was sad last night, he thought that Obama's win meant he'd have to go back to school...maybe I miscommunicated...I had to explain it to him)))

"50 years from now, when you're looking back on your life, don't you want to say you had the guts to get in the car." ~~Transformers the movie.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Not worried here, Autumnleavz...

I think there will be changes in the public school systems, eventually.
I do know that my home state homeschool association will be on top of any changes that will hurt our homeschooling rights and I will wait and act then.

This is a god site to keep up on political events.

Thanks for the post!

Last edited by Smiling Dawn; 11-05-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Well, he can only change things if Congress lets him. So far as I know, they didn't get their filibuster-proof Congress last night. Also, remember that many of these Congressmen, although Democrats, represent red states. This is their lifetime career at stake. They're not going to make any decisions that will cut their own throats.

For example, Obama wants to bankrupt the coal industry [his words, not mine]. How likely do you think it will be that any intelligent Congressman [yeah, I know, it's an oxymoron] from Pennsylvania would vote for that? They'd be cutting off the hand that feeds them.

He had grand ideas, but they aren't all necessarily going to be feasible nor are they all going to pass muster with the Dems from states where those ideas just aren't going to fly.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:40 AM

There are many liberals who homeschool. I think they'd raise cain and I've seen them mobilize at the hint of a threat (CA, NJ) recently.

The man is going to have his hands full and then some. I do not envy him this task. I'm fairly confident that homeschooling is safe for now.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:47 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdalley View Post
There are many liberals who homeschool. I think they'd raise cain and I've seen them mobilize at the hint of a threat (CA, NJ) recently.
This is true. California homeschoolers are very diverse for sure.
Still, although I do not see anything happening once he is officially in office, I do not know how long it will take for him to hit it.

He is educated who knows how to find out what he doesn't know. - Georg Simmel

Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational.
- Charles Schulz
Old 11-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Forgive me, I'm politically illiterate,BUT doesn't each individual state make up the laws for homeschooling in that state?

7th year homeschooling
DS 17 Public school
DS 16 Public school
DD 13 Public school
DD 10
Old 11-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Forgive me, I'm politically illiterate,BUT doesn't each individual state make up the laws for homeschooling in that state?
Yes, but the federal government trumps state government. Dems are typically big government. They tend to think we should have more federal laws rather than state regulations.

I have no doubt that there are many Dems who homeschool. We have a few on this site. This may be one of those situations where they may have to fight their candidate of choice.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixcloar View Post
Yes, but the federal government trumps state government. Dems are typically big government. They tend to think we should have more federal laws rather than state regulations.

I have no doubt that there are many Dems who homeschool. We have a few on this site. This may be one of those situations where they may have to fight their candidate of choice.
There hasn't even been a hint that homeschoolng is even on Obama's radar. I highly doubt it will even get a glance in th next four years on the federal level.

Mom to Catherine (15), Harry (12) and Lauchie (2).
Old 11-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I don't think that I am afraid that Obama will take away my legal right to homeschool as much as I am afraid that he will place too harsh of restrictions on homeschoolers or force us to use Government approved curriculum. That to me would be worse than not being able to homeschool because that would take away many of the reasons that we homeschool. Does that make sense, because for some reason when I type things just don't come out quite the way I want them to?
L - 2
Sign up for my essential oils newsletter and learn how essential oils can change your life - they sure changed mine.
www.jaynessa.vibrantscents.com
Old 11-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Obama alone can't do anything about hs'ing, but if legistation comes up in congress, he can certainly support it.