Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 03-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Question about Teaching Textbooks

Has anyone used the Math 5 for Fifth graders? (Or really, any of the levels?) I'm thinking of ordering it for Zach for next year. I understand that it says most people choose the CDs and workbook option. Just wondering if anyone has found the CDs to be sufficient on their own? I don't want to be nit-picky over $20, but a penny saved...ya know?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Homeschooling Mama to:
12 y.o. Z
8 y.o. E
and baby J

Old 03-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I have the Pre-Algebra and Algebra 1 Levels. I didn't even know you could do it without the book??? Our cd's don't have the daily lesson problems for them to work out on them. The cd's have the "Lectures (not very long) and practices" and the "Solution cd's" is all. Maybe the lower grades, newer levels have the problems on cd too?

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you. Not as the world gives, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled or afraid." John 14:27

I love GOD, my dh , ds18 , ds15 and dd12 with ALL my heart!

"Prayer is baring your soul to the One who loved you before you even knew of Him and letting Him speak to your heart." ---Storie Omartian---

I feel blessed to be on year 12 of Homeschooling!
Old 03-31-2008, 05:46 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I used it this year for Geometry, and I plan on using it for Algebra 2 next year. It's worked very well for us.

But I understand there's a big difference between the lower and upper level subjects. I honestly don't know how much the book would be needed. If you're uncertain, go ahead and get the book.

Word of Warning!!! The program can only be installed TWO TIMES. If you are using it for more than two kids, you must call to get a special code to install it. What this means is that it can only be sold used ONE TIME, and then it won't install. I don't know how they'll take you to you calling and saying you bought it used. I would hope they would give you the install code!!!

This is only true with the lower level programs!
Old 03-31-2008, 08:05 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

My friend is using it right now and she has not used the book once she said. And she LOVES it. I am actually buying one also.
Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not departout of thy mouth;but thou shalt meditate therein day and night,that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success
Old 03-31-2008, 08:15 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

What level are you doing, Lisa?
Old 03-31-2008, 09:11 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I am doing pre-algebra right now, I just bought Algebra 1 & 2. (for a great price) and I am going to buy 5 for my one daughter. I will use Saxon on my youngest until she is ready for the TT5...
Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not departout of thy mouth;but thou shalt meditate therein day and night,that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success