Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 02-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Math Mammoth?

I've been lurking around for awhile and haven't posted an into yet. DS is 5 and mostly working on 1st grade curriculum. I am starting to look at what we are going into next and was wondering if anyone had reviews/feedback on Math Mammoth?

Old 02-18-2008, 04:43 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I've used some of their free printables for dd. Love the freebies I've gotten. Had I heard of them before I might have gone with them for her math curriculum. I went with Singapore and Miquon instead.

http://mamaphotog.wordpress.com/
Old 02-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I bought the Blue Series and I don't think I've gotten more value out of a curriculum purchase before or since! You get a whole bunch of good quality workbooks that are all reprintable as needed and Maria, the author, is very easy to contact if you need any help or suggestions. Even when it's not my main curriculum it's excellent for extra practice.

Mom to Catherine (15), Harry (12) and Lauchie (2).
Old 02-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinseattle View Post
I've used some of their free printables for dd. Love the freebies I've gotten. Had I heard of them before I might have gone with them for her math curriculum. I went with Singapore and Miquon instead.
I got some of the freebies also but honestly, we haven't used them. We're using Horizons and haven't needed to supplement.

Rhonda C.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member

I have been very happy using their worksheets for my 6 & 8 year old. I use them and then start Saxon 5/4. At least that's what I've been doing. I was able to get two booklets for $7.50, granted that didn't include the printing costs, but it was easy to download and print the whole thing.

Kristine
Old 02-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

since someone asked. . .

I was looking for something to use with the students I tutor.

These kids are older and functioning several grade levels behind. They need mastery skills. . .and a different approach than what is current in schools. Might this be a good supplement? Could I use it, say with Suzy, and follow through with her until she's caught up to grade level?
Old 02-19-2008, 07:27 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I was thinking of getting the blue series, would i be better off using it as a supplement? I love the free worksheets we've gotten. Just need to make up my mind before we go shopping for ds's next set of books.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:02 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I think they use a concrete/abstract/mental math approach don't they? That's why I liked Singapore and Miquon.

Has come in useful for dd because she's not the type to get things from rote memorization. Will come in REALLY handy when she starts 2nd grade back in ps in the fall because that school uses Everyday Math which uses the same approach.

http://mamaphotog.wordpress.com/
Old 02-20-2008, 04:37 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sneaky mama View Post
I was looking for something to use with the students I tutor.

These kids are older and functioning several grade levels behind. They need mastery skills. . .and a different approach than what is current in schools. Might this be a good supplement? Could I use it, say with Suzy, and follow through with her until she's caught up to grade level?
that's sort of what i'm doing - my dd(11) is in 'grade 6' and working several grades behind in math (as well as language arts) .... (she did 5 years in ps, this is our first year hs'ing) ... i've found it working pretty well for that...
Old 02-20-2008, 07:35 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

well I went and grabbed the addition 1 & subtraction 1.I figured those would be good practice & supplement what's left of his current math book. I really liked the free worksheets she had. We'll see how he does with these and then maybe grab the Light blue 2a&b series books.

He's working so far ahead now it's hard to judge what to get him w/o having it in my hands, he just keeps plowing through further.

I know I have more questions about curriculum but we have a group meeting this morning! Thanks~