Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 01-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

You know I was looking on ebay and only came up with one. Then I realized I was not adding the S and the end..OOPS!!
Joshua 1:8 This book of the law shall not departout of thy mouth;but thou shalt meditate therein day and night,that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success

Old 01-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

There is nothing to install on my stuff.

I wonder if it's just certain grade levels??

btw I didn't read all the posts, just yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
I am currently looking for Teaching Textbooks Algebra II for Rachael next year. While searching, I came across a post on some board somewhere that says you can only install it TWO TIMES. In other words, I buy it new and install it on my machine and use it. The next year, I sell/give it to a friend who then installs it on HER machine and uses it. But when she sells it to a THIRD person, it WILL NOT install on that machne! The post said that you can call in requesting some code, but ONLY if you can prove you bought it from the company to begin with.

Now, I don't know if this is true, but it REALLY bothers me! First of all, it means I cannot buy it used, just in case I'm not buying from an original user. And, what's more, I don't think it's any of their business if we sell/give away a product we're done using!

So has anyone else heard this, or have any idea how to find out if it's true?
Old 01-26-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm new

So far, the install limit is on math 5, 6, and the new copies of math 7. When you install these on your computer, you cannot use the program until it is activated. The program gives you a choice: internet or by phone. If you choose internet, the program will automatically connect you to the activation page where you input the serial number from the back of your set of cd's.
For those who have the original version of math 7, when you send the cd's in for the update (the original has LOTS of errors) you will get the new set with install limits.
You can install on two different computers, and for an unlimited number of times on one computer.
Hope that helps.

I, too, think this stinks, since the program is so expensive. I am not sure we will use every level at that price since we probably cannot re-sell.
Kim
Old 06-04-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm new

That is totally not true.

I just wanted to set the record straight. There is no limit to how many times you can use Teaching Textbooks. Especially with the upper levels (Pre-Algebra and up). The upper levels do not require an installation, and therefore do not require registration and can be used over and over again without interruption.
The lower levels (Math 7 and below) do require an installation and registration. When these lower levels are sent out, they are sent out to allow for 2 seperate computer installations. That does not mean you are limited to it. It is done that way to protect from piracy. What will happen if you go beyond the 2 installs is that you will get a message that says something like "You have exceeded the allowable limit..." and to give Teaching Textbooks a call at the number listed. Once you call in they can update your serial number to allow for any additional installations that you might need. If you buy it used, just give Teaching Textbooks a call and they can reset the serial number for your use, and you will start over with 2 new installs.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

CooL! thanks!
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Thanks for that information!

Mom to Catherine (15), Harry (12) and Lauchie (2).
Old 06-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I think it is reasonable, if you develop a product or write a book, that you get paid for it.
On the other hand...I love cheap used books.
I bought a statistics program that I had to call to get installed...It was new, or at least looked new, sealed and all. But there was one install "left" out of two allowed, but the company did not ask for any proof of who, where and why I bought it. They just gave me the code.

I plan on using TT for Algebra and for both boys, it is good to know that the upper ones don't have a limit.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm new

teaching tex bks instalation

I called them it was really easy ,no questions asked . The said it was merely for security reasons and they added two more instalations which now gives me three more uses. All they needed was my serial number on the back of cd folder . took like 1 minnute !
Old 06-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Teaching textbooks WILL give you a new code without question. If you have the S/N on the back of the packaging they will give it to you. If you're installing on a machine that has internet, you can log it on that way, too....it will give you an install code.

TT is VERY VERY sharing friendly. I've NEVER had a problem, and I've ALWAYS borrowed someone else's CD's. They are very pro-sharing, reselling, etc.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." - Gerald R. Ford, August 12, 1974
Old 06-26-2012, 07:33 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Thanks for this info. A lady wants to know about my cd sets for 6 and 7 but I wasn't sure I could sell them. This helps.