Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 01-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Abeka Phonics for K??

Grace will begin K work soon. Probably sooner than our next school year because she will be 5 in two weeks.

Is Abeka phonics good for learning to read? Samantha was in private school for pre school and they used Abeka and she could read at age 3. But I have never actually seen the curriculum myself so I don't know what all it includes or requires. I know some of you have used it.

Can anyone give me info?
"A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture everyday of his life; in order that world cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul."~J.W. von Goethe

Old 01-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

If not for A Beka my dd would still not know how to read! LOL. A Beka is awesome for reading and phonics. I highly recommend it. I will say that I did not try A Beka until 1st grade so I am not sure about the Kindergarden program. I am sure it is great though.

I only had the basic workbooks. I did have some fun flash cards and things of that nature but those were items I already had so I didn't buy any extra A Beka stuff.

I think A Beka is wonderful for phonics and reading. I doubt you will be disppointed.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

EXCELLENT, #1, THE BEST! In my opinion!

My kids were reading at college levels in 9th grade and they LOVE to read.

Very easy program to teach, be sure to get the entire program including the flash cards, very important!
Old 01-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I agree...you need the flash cards and other fun stuff. I had a bunch of stuff like that so I did not purchase it from A Beka. However, that stuff does reinforce the lessons and makes the child eager to learn. I have yet to find anyone disappointed with A Beka's reading program. Sure someone is out there though...lol.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Great! Thanks!

I figured it was good but wanted to ask you guys. Anyone know how much it costs?
"A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture everyday of his life; in order that world cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul."~J.W. von Goethe
Old 01-16-2008, 11:58 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

The K program is $58.25 (without the parent materials). From the titles of things, it's all pretty much the phonics program.

Quote:
K5 Child Kit (Mansuscript)

Included in kit:

* 40495 My Blend and Word Book
* 53686 Basic Phonics Readers Set
* 26484 Letters and Sounds K
* 53651 Miniature ABC Flashcards
* 60119 Kindergarten Writing Tablet Manuscript
* 60127 Writing with Phonics K5 Manuscript
* 47333 Numbers Skills K
* 53929 Numbers Writing Tablet K Cursive
* 101796 DVD for Home Schoolers Brochure 2007

Retail: $58.25 (a $64.70 value at a 10% discount)
Code Number: 111465
Grade: K5
You can buy each part by itself, but it comes out to be more expensive.

"Comparing me to those who are conventionally schooled is like comparing the freedoms of a wild stallion to those of cattle in a feedlot." -Colin Roch, 12 year old Homeschooler

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17
Old 01-16-2008, 11:59 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

This is the parent kit information and pricing:

Quote:
K5 Parent Kit (Manuscript)

Included in kit:

* 68985 K5 Numbers Home School Curriculum
* 68993 K5 Phonics, Reading, Writing Home School Curriculum
* 68950 Phonics Charts and Games (Small Home School Version)
* 68934 Numbers Charts and Games (Small Home School Version)
* 68942 Learning Games (Small Home School Version)
* 40517 Basic Phonics Flashcards
* 60135 Five Year Old Kindergarten Manuscript Lesson Plans

Retail: $119.70 (a $132.95 value at a 10% discount)
Code Number: 97071
Grade: K5

Add to Cart

Support Material--purchase or make

* 35874 Blend Practice Cards A $11.95
* 36161 Blend Practice Cards B $12.95
* 57975 Letter Picture Flashcards (highly recommended) $15.95
* 41998 Clue Word Cards $12.95
* 31313 One Vowel Word Cards $12.95
* 21199 Numbers Concept Flashcards (highly recommended) $14.95
* 21253 Felt Objects for Counting $13.95
* 21229 Felt 3 Inch Numerals $11.50
* 47635 Addition Flashcards $13.45
* 44458 Combination Dot Cards $14.95
* 57967 Number Flashcards $18.95
* 54046 Addition & Subtraction Animal Flashcards $21.95
* 90263 Song Time for Kindergarten $8.95
* 92029 Songtime for Kindergarten CD $15.00

"Comparing me to those who are conventionally schooled is like comparing the freedoms of a wild stallion to those of cattle in a feedlot." -Colin Roch, 12 year old Homeschooler

Old 01-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Thanks Amie.

Do you think I need the parent stuff?

I am not buying the parent stuff with her math because I figure if I need a book to tell me K math answers I shouldn't be teaching my kids!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMamma View Post
Thanks Amie.

Do you think I need the parent stuff?

I am not buying the parent stuff with her math because I figure if I need a book to tell me K math answers I shouldn't be teaching my kids!
The parent stuff is sooooooooooooooooooooooo necessary! Do not cut corners, do not cut corners!

A person that lives near me thought cutting corners was good but she learned it was not a good idea.

Reasons:
The parents/teacher guide tells you what to teach and how to teach it that day. For example, the phonics cards, this lady was teaching them ALL each day. They are introduced a few at a time and they coinside with the reading books. That way everything makes sense.

The special sounds cards and blend cards are sooooo important and reinforces the lessons.

Blend cards are like
ba
be etc.f

Special sound cards are like er as in verse, ck as in duck.

Your child will really get the reading quicker and easier if you follow the lesson plan. Believe me, it works!

The reading books are important and the reading program coinsides with the language books also. My kids have been using Abeka for years and they are doing very, very well!
Old 01-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

It looks to me like most of the parent stuff is completely different than the child stuff. It looks like it's mostly games and stuff to supplement the child books, not just answer keys.

I would go to the website and read up on what each of the items is, then decide if it's worth it.