Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 06-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

When I first opened my little school 12 years ago, my first students were ninth graders. One stayed about 3 years before they moved from town. The others lasted anywhere from three weeks to about 7 months, and a fourth one lasted the whole 9th grade year before moving away and taking his GED. Along the way, I've had one that lasted a semester but didn't really want to be here in the first place, and another that lasted about 2 1/2 years but she turned 18 and dropped out completely mid-11th.

Next year, we'll begin the high school journey once again! My 8th grader from this year will be staying on for high school! That's the first time that's happened, that one bridged over from 8th to 9th. At the moment, I'm planning on Lifepac 9 Bible, CLE 8 and 9 for Literature, either CLE (according to placement test) or continue with R&S 6 and go on to 7 for English, CLE according to placement test for Math (she did 4th this year, and we're working through the Fractions, Algebra, and Geometry extra practice books now to get her boosted up), R&S for Science (picking out the Physical Science chapters), and Civics and Constitution from Christian Liberty for social studies. Additionally, I want to do the R&S Developing Better Reading with her for a half-credit, to better get advanced phonics and syllables. And we may get in Lifepac High school Health for a half-credit -- Health is required for the state scholarship at graduation, along with 1 1/2 credits of PE activity sometime during high school.

"LIKE" Peter & Paul Academy at Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...31024760253273

Old 06-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Louisiana High School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindina View Post
And we may get in Lifepac High school Health for a half-credit -- Health is required for the state scholarship at graduation, along with 1 1/2 credits of PE activity sometime during high school.
Health is not required for a TOPS Scholarship and neither is PE. I'm not saying that Health and PE aren't good high school subjects, they are not required for the TOPS Scholarship.

http://www.osfa.state.la.us/MainSite...culum_1113.pdf

http://www.osfa.state.la.us/MainSite...riculum_14.pdf

http://www.osfa.state.la.us/MainSite...chure_8-11.pdf

http://www.osfa.state.la.us/MainSite...chure_8-11.pdf

My oldest son recieves TOPS and I'm waiting for the qualification letter for my daughter as well.
19 year old Honor Graduate - College Sophmore 3.72 GPA
17 year old Senior Dual Enrollment

Last edited by Mouseketeer67; 06-01-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:38 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you have to be registered as a home study program to be eligible for TOPS? It was my understanding that you had to switch from private school option to home study option to even stand a chance at the TOPS scholarship. I read through all of the requirements and it said home study option only for TOPS eligibility and it had that home study students had to receive higher ACT and SAT scores to be eligible for TOPS than their peers.
The reason I was asking was b/c I didn't think your private school operated under the home study program.
It was actually quite daunting reading through it all and one of my main reasons for trying a virtual school next year.
ds7-Grade 2

Last edited by OpenMinded; 06-01-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Louisiana TOPS Scholarship

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenMinded View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you have to be registered as a home study program to be eligible for TOPS? It was my understanding that you had to switch from private school option to home study option to even stand a chance at the TOPS scholarship. I read through all of the requirements and it said home study option only for TOPS eligibility and it had that home study students had to receive higher ACT and SAT scores to be eligible for TOPS than their peers.
The reason I was asking was b/c I didn't think your private school operated under the home study program.
It was actually quite daunting reading through it all and one of my main reasons for trying a virtual school next year.
Louisiana homeschoolers have to be registered in the BESE Approved Home Study Program for 11th & 12th grade years for TOPS and the student has to score a 19 on ACT for tech award, a 22 on ACT for opportunity award, a 24 on ACT for performance award, or a 28 for honors award. The reason homeschoolers have to get a higher score is because we don't have to teach the subjects required by the public schools or have the required GPA. LOFSA does allow students to substitute SAT scores but I don't know what those scores have to be off the top of my head.

The Approved Home Study Program is really not a problem. I have used this option for my kids since 1st grade. Most people think you have to jump through a bunch of hoops, but you really don't. It's like keeping a portfolio.
All they want is a list of subjects taught, the books you used, work samples (1 or 2 pages per subject), a mommie made report card, and a statement for a family member or friend saying they observed your kids doing homework. These are all things I would do anyway.

I can't give you an answer about the kids at Lindina's school though. I don't know how they would fit into the TOPS qualifications.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:21 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

My Ds16 will be starting his (hopefully) last year of high school this fall. My Dd13 will be starting 9th grade at the same time.

He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. ~ Revelation 22:20
Old 06-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

My plan is, at present, to have her parents register this one girl when she hits 11th grade, even though "they'll" be directing her education with my assistance... I Approved Home Study-ed my DS until I didn't anymore. It's not that tough. I guess we'll have to wait and see how the new Bobby Jindal plan plays out, as to how this affects college entrance, TOPS, and everything else.

"LIKE" Peter & Paul Academy at Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...31024760253273
Old 06-02-2012, 06:32 PM

Hi all -- I am brand new to this forum. This is my first post actually but I have a question about high school and credits. I've heard different perspectives on this and would like to know how others handle the credits.

If I have a child whose ahead in let's say...math. Can I put down Algebra 1 as a high school credit on his transcript despite the fact he took it in 8th grade? Or there is a Government class being offered at our co-op to high schoolers and it works in the schedule for my son to be able to take it next year but he will only be in 8th grade. Can I put that class on his transcript?

Or do I have to wait until he is 9th grade in all his subjects to start tracking things?

Thanks!
Kellie -- Homeschooling from birth my three children grades 2, 5, and 8 next year and forever missing my 2nd child whose life here on earth was cut drastically short.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellielh View Post
Hi all -- I am brand new to this forum. This is my first post actually but I have a question about high school and credits. I've heard different perspectives on this and would like to know how others handle the credits.

If I have a child whose ahead in let's say...math. Can I put down Algebra 1 as a high school credit on his transcript despite the fact he took it in 8th grade? Or there is a Government class being offered at our co-op to high schoolers and it works in the schedule for my son to be able to take it next year but he will only be in 8th grade. Can I put that class on his transcript?

Or do I have to wait until he is 9th grade in all his subjects to start tracking things?

Thanks!
Kellie -- Homeschooling from birth my three children grades 2, 5, and 8 next year and forever missing my 2nd child whose life here on earth was cut drastically short.
Hi Kellie,
Welcome to the forum. Lots of public and private schools grant credit for high school classes taken in the 8th grade. If you son takes Algebra I and Government next school year and does well go ahead and award him credit for it. If the schools can do it so can you!
Old 06-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

For math, Rachael took Alg. 1 (7th), Geometry (8th), Algebra 2 (9th), Pre-Calculus (10), and Calculus (11). She transfered to a cyberschool this past year, and they gave her credit for ALL of them. They also gave her .5 credit for speech in 8th grade.

www.freewebs.com/sprite59
Old 06-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I'm going to start keeping a hs transcript because Dd13's courses are now at that level. If she were in public school, she'd be in 8th grade next year. Glad I don't have to waste her time on extra years of taking fluff.

He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. ~ Revelation 22:20