Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > House and Home

Old 05-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Shopping at Kroger help

This is the first time I've lived near a Kroger and I'm a bit confused by their sales. For starters, if, say, cans of peaches are marked 2/$.50, are they $.25 each, or is it one at regular price?

Next, on the items that you do have to buy "10 participating" items... What if you buy 11? Does the sale price kick in as soon as you hit 10, or do you have to buy those items in groups of 10? And you can mix and match those, right?

"Comparing me to those who are conventionally schooled is like comparing the freedoms of a wild stallion to those of cattle in a feedlot." -Colin Roch, 12 year old Homeschooler

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Thats a good question! We done have them near us but out local store varies on those things so it would be good to ask someone in the store when you go. Some things you have to get the total numbers, but I think if you look at the ad it should be worded in a way you would know for sure.
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:10 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

With Kroger, if it says 10 for $10, then that means that u can buy one and get it for $1. You wouldnt have to buy all 10. The best is of course to ask someone there, but their sales are nice, and they are not difficult, as far as I've experienced.
We had Kroger in Texas, over here in CO its called KingSoopers, but its still the same store.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:25 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

What about the ones you must buy 10 for, though? There are always a bunch of items that, when you buy 10 total of those items, you save $4. But how does that apply to the 11th item?

"Comparing me to those who are conventionally schooled is like comparing the freedoms of a wild stallion to those of cattle in a feedlot." -Colin Roch, 12 year old Homeschooler

Old 05-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I think it depends. I know Kroger owns one of our stores around here, can't remember which one, though!

I know a lot of the stores around us do the 10 for $10 things, you CAN mix and match, but if you buy 11, you pay full price on the 11th item, I THINK.. SOMETIMES there's a no limit - which means it doesn't really matter....you get the $1/each price no matter how many you buy.

Can you ASK someone at Kroger how their sales work?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." - Gerald R. Ford, August 12, 1974
Old 05-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbabe1968 View Post

Can you ASK someone at Kroger how their sales work?
Yes. I was just hoping someone here knew.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

For the buy 10 items, save $4, the ad always shows the price after the deduction. However, it is really that once you hit 10 items, it deducts the $4. Any item beyond 10 is at the regular price (or many times, it is on sale in the ad with 2 sale prices, the big bold one is if you buy 10, the other is for any outside of a group of 10). Mix and match ok. I hope that made sense, ask away if you need more info. I shop Fry's (kroger) weekly.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
Homeschool Spot Addict

well I was getting ready to answer but azhomeschooler already did the way I'd said it.

just check the ad ....... if it says the save $4 on 10 (sometimes its 8) items. I just mark my grocery list with an * and keep track of how many you have...... make sure it says no limit.

I think if the deal is 2 for __ then you just pay half that for one.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by azhomeschooler View Post
For the buy 10 items, save $4, the ad always shows the price after the deduction. However, it is really that once you hit 10 items, it deducts the $4. Any item beyond 10 is at the regular price (or many times, it is on sale in the ad with 2 sale prices, the big bold one is if you buy 10, the other is for any outside of a group of 10). Mix and match ok. I hope that made sense, ask away if you need more info. I shop Fry's (kroger) weekly.
we shop at Fry's almost every week........ I picked Albertsons one week and my huaband came back with a 32 inch TV he won as a costomer appreciation prize---- we actually shop at 2 stores..... picking between the best ads.....
Old 05-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I shop kroger weekly.

Be aware they have digital coupons you can load on your card-these often match sale items that week of the next week, so I load them all. LOL

I do best with their markdowns, though I hear this varies greatly from store to store. My store has AWESOME produce markdowns but meat markdowns are a joke.

Quote:
This is the first time I've lived near a Kroger and I'm a bit confused by their sales. For starters, if, say, cans of peaches are marked 2/$.50, are they $.25 each, or is it one at regular price?
On can of peaches would be $0.25

Quote:
Next, on the items that you do have to buy "10 participating" items... What if you buy 11? Does the sale price kick in as soon as you hit 10, or do you have to buy those items in groups of 10? And you can mix and match those, right?
With Kroger $4 (or sometimes $5) off when you buy 10 participating items, you only get that sale price if you buy EXACTLY 10 items. You can mix and match and buy 10 of the same thing, or 10 different things or 5 pizzas, 3 bags of goldfish and 2 frozen dinners.

But that price is only good on groups of 10.

So if I buy 9 pizzas, I'm going to pay full price for all 9 pizzas and not get my $4 off. If I buy 11 pizzas I'll get $4 off but I'll pay full price (not the 'sale price') for that 11th pizza.

What I do when Kroger has the buy 10 participating and get $4 or $5 off your order is do my shopping without buying any of those items, then I go back through the store and use the baby seat part of the shopping cart to place my 'participating items' in so I can triple count my 10 items. Once I hit 10 items, I put them with the rest of my stuff int he big part of the cart and if I want to do another 10 I start over counting in the baby seat

Also if you forget your card-enter your phone number into the credit card swiper thingy-you'll get your sale price and points toward gas.

If you save up your gas points you can save up to $0.20 or $0.30 per gallon on gas. I know you can save $0.20-I THINK you can save $0.30, but I've never been able to save long enough to save $0.30 cause it's a 30 min drive for me to get to the grocery store-so I have to have gas at least every other week...