Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 04-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymama View Post
We will be using the Hakim books, I have them and really like them. We are not Christian so I guess her lack of a religious focus in her books isn't a big deal to me, in fact it makes them more appealing to us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicamarun View Post
This is one of the reasons I think it appealed to Jake - he is tired of "all the Bible stuff" in every subject. He doesn't mind some as he sees it as history as well but he's just not (in his own words) "bibley"
Totally understandable!

I'm more concerned about the historical inaccuracies. But, then again, is there any perfect History text? I'd venture to guess most have some discrepancies, somewhere.

"the world is a book; and those who do not travel, read only a page." St. Augustine

Check out my Etsy shop:
Green Cottage Designs

Old 04-16-2012, 07:22 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Your right, there is no perfect history book. They are all in the eye of the one viewing history. For me, anything that puts Native Americans in the light of being horrible savages is way off the accuracy charts, this was their land first and we came and acted like savages taking it away.... but them maybe I'm sensitive since hubby is Blackfoot? Anyway, my point is, if I were to write a text in the ways that I see history it would probably be very different than someone who isn't sensitive to the Native American side of our country.

And Dana, I agree, there has to be some religion in history.. after all it shapes so much of it (and not just Christianity), but I really don't think that should be the sole focus on any history text, ever.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 PM

My dd (13 yo) is doing a series from ~1600 to 1849 by a California High School teacher called MODERN HISTORY: Early American History: native Americans through the Forty-niners. The teacher's name is Linwood Thompson. He majored in American History and minored in drama so his lectures are quite entertaining. He dresses up (complete with props) and is great with accents. When he talks, he takes on the persona of whomever he is talking about. For example, when discussing the Vikings, he was very convincing. My 10 yo loves to watch the video, he is so entertaining even though she isn't doing this curriculum just yet.

Anyhow, this comes with a work book. For each lesson (30 total) there are definitions and short answer questions. Each lesson also has an essay to write but if he isn't to the point of writing 5-6 paragraph essays, he can skip this part. My dd is doing it for a High School elective so the writing portion is madatory for her. The text book that accompanys the lecture with reading for each lesson is called "The Story of America - Beginnings to 1914" along with outside reading of Danial Boone, The Alamo, Ben Franklin, etc.

THese videos are 1/2 hour each and come from The Teaching Company. If you watch their sales, you can get these lectures for 80% off but you have to order the workbook over the phone instead of online.

HTH's.

Kim
Old 04-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I was just talking to someone about those videos yesterday and it turns out they are at our local library Always worth checking into!!
DD17, DS15, DD13: I think they are doing schoolwork - at least I HOPE they are but I'm not always 100% sure of WHAT it is....
DFD6 - Kindergarten
Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I've never heard of them; I'm going to check out our library. It really does have a lot of stuff!

ETA: We have two copies. One is checked out, and I'm having the other sent to my branch!

www.freewebs.com/sprite59
Old 04-17-2012, 01:17 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

ok am I the only one who did not realize that people had US history in jr high? I went to school from 4th to 10 grade in BC so my schooling was filtered with the explorers. Canadian explorers and some US exploreers.
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

TMom, as homeschoolers, we do not have to teach US history at a specified time. We covered it in elementary and will cover it again in high school.
It is an "a-g" subject requirement for freshman admission to the University of California and Cal State universities. Cal Baptist is a private university and while it doesn't require US history, they would like it if students covered the same "a-g" subject requirements as UC and CSU. However, the "a-g" subjects are not required. So we are doing it again so we can cover the necessities and cover ourselves incase Ems decided to apply for Cal Baptist.

He is educated who knows how to find out what he doesn't know. - Georg Simmel

Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational.
- Charles Schulz
Old 04-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Another option is to check out The Baldwin Project. These are old books on-line. I've been reading them to my kids; it's got me considering a Kindle or Nook! http://www.mainlesson.com/main/displ...rticle=feature

www.freewebs.com/sprite59
Old 04-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's#1fan View Post
TMom, as homeschoolers, we do not have to teach US history at a specified time. We covered it in elementary and will cover it again in high school.
It is an "a-g" subject requirement for freshman admission to the University of California and Cal State universities. Cal Baptist is a private university and while it doesn't require US history, they would like it if students covered the same "a-g" subject requirements as UC and CSU. However, the "a-g" subjects are not required. So we are doing it again so we can cover the necessities and cover ourselves incase Ems decided to apply for Cal Baptist.
THis is one of the schools I was looking into this year. We decided to wait another year with dd to finish her Music AA degree in town before sending her out as a transfer student btw.
But thanks for clearing it up. I have done US twice have one more round with ds cause we increase what we learn as we go. But I didnt know ps was supposed to teach it in Jr.
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!
Old 04-17-2012, 01:58 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Never heard of the Baldwin Project. I need to look it up. Thanks for sharing.

He is educated who knows how to find out what he doesn't know. - Georg Simmel

Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational.
- Charles Schulz