Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Christian Issues

Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

VBS Idea for this year! Its that time of year again!

Hello!
This year we are ding a Pirate theme, Grace actually is the topic, VBS
We have a princess who will be captured by Pinky the Pirate ( may change the name) and Jaque Black Shalack her side kick, and crew members .. tba
They are the pirates of "notalot" And they have decided to mend their ways.. by capturing, acquiring, stealing, grace... Grace the Princess that is!
They have the right idea that they need grace to be saved, but there are a few other things that they need.. to achieve salvation and the week will be full of ways to gain this grace they seek.. Grace the Princess will be giving them some wisdom about how SHE can't save them!
The story line is vague so far I am coming up with ideas each day but during the week they will torture Princess Grace by such dastardly deeds as "Pelleting her with marshmallow cannon balls or pelting her with bunnies..." Throwing her into the pit of Gummy Worms and mauling her with gummy bears! not to mention the ever dastardly deed of "walking the plank" ( into a wading pool of jello!)

okay here's where you come in!
I am looking for stories in the Bible that teach Grace. I have two or three actually, stories I have written to enhance the scriptures I found on them .. but am open for two more scriptures , I am putting full chapters in my packets for the people to read ahead of the week so they can know the story when they do this.
so.. anyone?
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I will do some thinking and then get back with you!

http://homeschoolingaadventures.blogspot.com
Curriculum for sale:
http://homeschoolingaadventures.blog...-for-sale.html
My daughter's shop
http://www.etsy.com/shop/theonestopg...op?ref=si_shop

".....yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread. "
Ps 37:25
Old 04-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Homeschool Spot Addict

Grace and mercy are often confused. I can think of a million (not really) examples of mercy in the Bible, but not for grace. Mercy is showing kindness or forgiveness when it isn't deserved. Grace is an undeserved favor, though. The grace of God is that He gave us His Son. But at the same time, it's also mercy, because of what that Gift represents... His blood offers us the chance to have salvation if we choose to reach out and grab it.

Can the princess have a sister or pet (or queen mother) named Mercy?

================================================== ==========

"But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD" (grace = favor, which means the Lord was pleased with him)

"‘I know you by name, and you have also found grace in My sight." (About Moses ... the Lord wanted to use him to speak to Pharaoh)

"The king loved Esther more than all the other women, and she obtained grace and favor in his sight more than all the virgins; so he set the royal crown upon her head and made her queen instead of Vashti."

"And the Child grew and became strong in spirit, filled with wisdom; and the grace of God was upon Him." (Jesus)

"For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ."

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not!" (Romans)

(Many epistles are introduced and closed with grace, as is the book of Revelation.)

"I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel..."

"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

"Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one."

"Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need."

"Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?"

"Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for 'God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble.'"

* Batman (9yo, 6th, DYS, Aspie, ADD, neuro-motor delays) - Bible Evidences, WW 8, LoF F&D + Physics, Web Programming (HTML5, CSS & JS), Bowling, Scouts

.....* Both - Pentime, Apologia Astronomy, MoH 1, ASL, Art, Piano, classic lit

* Robin (6yo, 3rd, PG, progressive hearing loss) - R&S Bible 5, R&S English 3, Reading Comp from Varied Sub Matter, Seq Sp 1, WW 3, LoF Elem, SS Latin 2, Gymnastics

Barefoot Books
Old 04-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

oo I like that idea! If I can get this one other lady to show up I will have her be the Queen Mum Mercy! I am trying to grow my helpers and this one lady comes tohelp with the third camp, but shes having a baby this year and fostering a preteen so she could come up for vbs AND THE TWEEN could come to tweens camp special for her, and then go over to camp .. the way it works we get the day of rest before the kids arrive at the camp, the teens start putting up tents if needed or set up tables and chairs then we watch dvds on our lap tops! lol!
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

in my big buccaneer scene I am using the one about when we are weak He is strong as well, my hero comes in and starts getting beat but then when he is so weak he will quote the scripture or I will have it announced over head wise, and he will pull out two swords ( nerf) and the pirates will all fall with out him touching them lol

Tags
grace, stories, vbs