Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Introductions

Old 03-20-2012, 02:46 PM

advice needed...please help!

Long story short...my 17 daughter was bullied her freshman year in public school by a coach. She went into depression and panic attacks...has tried to go back each year without success. We have homeschooled, homebound, etc. She wants to graduate this year with her few friends still in public school. We tried to transfer her credits back to public school, but they wont accept them saying they are not from An accredited school. I need to find An accredited school to accept these credits and transfer them back to the public school. After that she only needs a few more to finish up. I need all the advice i can get...thanks

Old 03-23-2012, 06:33 PM

Red face advice needed

Hello! Posted on needing advice..... it must be a tough one ....no one has answered. Still need guidance
Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I've just now read this. Let me get this straight. She's been doing her work at home. The local high school won't accept her credits because they're not from an "accredited" high school. Have you been officially hs'ing, to where you turn in your paperwork or whatever? In that case, I'm not sure they can turn down her credits, or at least not ALL of them. However, they can make her take some things that she may not have taken yet. You can't just transfer her during the last month or two, just so she can walk with her friends. Personally, I'd tell her no. I'd keep her at home, and graduate her yourself. You can have a little ceremony. I'm sorry that's not what you want to hear, but I can't think of any way to work it.

www.freewebs.com/sprite59
Old 03-24-2012, 08:06 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

My thoughts are on the same line as Jackie's. She would have to go to PS for at least one whole school yr for them to except any credits you may want to transfer. I would check with your states homeschool laws to make sure you were doing what needed to be done on your end, than contact the school and duel it out with them.

http://homeschoolingaadventures.blogspot.com
Curriculum for sale:
http://homeschoolingaadventures.blog...-for-sale.html
My daughter's shop
http://www.etsy.com/shop/theonestopg...op?ref=si_shop

".....yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread. "
Ps 37:25
Old 03-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Our state doesn't necessarily accept transcripts, even if the program a student has been in IS accredited -- like Abeka! Have a friend who was doing Abeka DVD, and wanted to go back to public for 12th grade so he could be in clubs and stuff before college. The local authority told him they would NOT accept his transcripts, and if he wanted credits to re-enroll, he'd have to take a "final exam" for EVERY course he wanted to claim credits for: 3 Englishes, 3 maths, 3 sciences, 3 social studies, and whatever electives he might have had like art or music or something... And since it was summer, there were no teachers around to get any final exams from (each teacher makes their own, there aren't any "system wide" final exams), so you're outta luck, bub!

"LIKE" Peter & Paul Academy at Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...31024760253273
Old 03-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I'm sorry, that's crazy! I'd like to see someone take that to court!!!

www.freewebs.com/sprite59
Old 03-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

By law, it's up to the parish superintendent's office (sometimes the parish super leaves it up to the school principal) as to what grade you get placed in when you enroll/re-enroll in public school. My friend's son could have enrolled and been placed in 9th grade, if that's what he wanted to do, and spend 4 more years in high school. OTOH, I had a student of mine whose mom changed her from public to private to homeschool to other private about umpteen times, and changed her from my school to public --she should have been in 10th grade, but at first when they tested her they put her in 9th, and the child was okay with that, but then I guess they did some further testing and granted her some credits for the results and bumped her up to 10th.

"LIKE" Peter & Paul Academy at Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...31024760253273
Old 03-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

It sounds like too much trouble just to have 30 seconds walking across a stage. Don't you have any homeschool organizations that do a homeschool graduation? We have one in our county that had nearly 100 seniors walk last year. Tell her graduation ceremonies are painfully dull -- having her friends over for a party would be a lot more fun, and she'd have more time with them than she would at a graduation ceremony.

Homeschooling: Niece - Graduated 2013, Daughter - 10th, Son - 7th, Son - 1st

Alice
Old 03-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I agree with Alice. Since you can issue her a diploma yourself, I would encourage her with the thought of her own ceremony (or not if she prefers). She can attend her friends' graduation and receptions just the same. It is just not logistically possible at this point. Preparing for graduation is stressful enough without trying to battle the local public school. You've come so far to get hung up on a ceremony now.

Side note....IL leaves the discretion up to the local ps if they will grant credits or not. In case of a major family crisis that would prevent us from homeschooling, we decided to use more premade, recognizable curriculum from here on out at the recommendation of the local high school. (I called the ps to find out their policy on hs credits after Dh had a hs'ing coworker die unexpectedly) I know tomatoes might fly at me, but this is an area that I don't want my kids to pay for my pride in the event of a tragedy.

He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus. ~ Revelation 22:20