Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Other Conversation

Old 02-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Free books for a tablet?

Okay, I was given a basic Tablet by a friend to help me keep connected while I'm recuperating and I'm looking for book links. It's and android but doesn't support all of their apps due to being pretty basic. I do know I can download books on it but I can't afford to buy any. Does anyone know of any sites I can look on?

Old 02-22-2012, 02:58 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Check with your local library and see what they have to offer. Be sure to check what the timeline is, as you would not want a due date to fall in the middle of surgery/recovery!

MT3
Old 02-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

My device isn't showing up as compatible but I think I read somewhere that you might be able to download to your desktop and then transfer to your tablet from there. Not sure if that's right or not. I had hoped to be able to use our library system to do this. Due dates is something that I'm looking at as far as getting books out from the library ahead of time. Even when I have the money I don't like to buy books!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:57 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Does it support the Kindle or Nook apps? They're free. If you have those, you can get gobs of free books on the Kindle free store (and, I assume, something similar for Nook) or from Project Gutenberg. Many of the books on PG are also available in .pdf format, so if the tablet has a .pdf reader, you're good to go, there.

As to transferring from PC, you'd still have to have the appropriate reader on the tablet.

"Comparing me to those who are conventionally schooled is like comparing the freedoms of a wild stallion to those of cattle in a feedlot." -Colin Roch, 12 year old Homeschooler

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17