Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 08-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Streams of Civilization

This is the History program I am using this year for my oldest dd. We've read the intro and next week we wills start on the 1st chapter. Has anyone here used this before? Did you like it? I'd just like some opinions.
Levi, 13, 8th grade, wild child
Lincoln, 13, 8th grade, Music maker
Ellyson, 10, 5th grade, My little vet
Colton, 9, 3rd, Adventure bound
Rylan, 7, 3rd, Book Worm
Jeran, 6, 2nd, Keeps me guessing
Selena, 4, Kindergarten, Sweetie Pie
Breckyn, 2, Smiley girl
Keaton, 9 months, Mr. Little man
Baby #12 on his/her way
Been homeschooling for 11 years.
It's crazy! But, I love it

Old 08-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

someone has, I forget who it was. I looked at it because personally I liked the shape of the book, the whole look of it was cool and all, but none of my kids seemed interested in it when I showed it to them. I would love to see how it works out for you!
"Let no one deceive himself. ... For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God." 1 Cor. 3:18-19

High school is not going to kill me! I love it! When I forget what a great day I had today I will turn on the Spot and see the wisdom I receive from all you wise peeps! Thanks!
Old 08-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

My dss used it in his Christian school. I read it while helping him study for tests. My middle child, Faythe, is using it this fall. I REALLY liked Notgrass, but felt it had way too much reading for Faythe, so we're going with Streams. Oh, there's a schedule for it at www.donnayoung.org You can print out each chapter's assignments on a bookmark.

www.freewebs.com/sprite59
Old 08-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I own the first book. If I'd just come out of public school and read it, I would have thought "WOW! This is great. It is written in a very readable way." However, since I have now researched many homeschool history programs since then; I'm not so easily impressed. I keep the book for reference, but for elementary and middle school, I prefer programs like Story of the World, Veritas, Time Travelers or Evan Moor History Pockets. For High School, I prefer assigning biographies and historical non-fiction and historical fiction and research topics. I still think Streams of Civilization is a very solid curriculum, so if your children like it and learn from it, then it's perfect.

Homeschooling: Niece - Graduated 2013, Daughter - 11th grade, Son - 8th grade, Son - 2nd grade

Alice
Old 08-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I've also heard that Vol. 2 isn't as good as Vol. 1.

www.freewebs.com/sprite59