Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 08-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

How to schedule Pathway Readers

How do you schedule Pathway Readers? Do you have your child read one story per day and do the workbook the same day? Do they read the story one day, workbook the next? Read half the story one day, and then read part 2 the next day, along with the workbook?

DD (6th grade): trying out public school

DS (3rd grade): Homeschooling, using a mix of A Beka and Rod & Staff

DS (1 year old) will be homeschooled!

Old 08-07-2010, 12:29 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Oh, how I miss Pathway Readers! We used them up to 6th grade and they were so easy. We did the story and workbook in one day - and we did them together when he was little. In fact, we still use the vocabulary they have for the middle grades called Working With Words.

I think we did 2-3 stories a week, but maybe that was excessive?

The Simple Schooling Online Classroom!

Free American History Curriculum!
Old 08-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Last year we used Pathways for the first time. Well, the second time - I had used the sixth and seventh ones several years ago, but I didn't care for them at the time because there was no teacher help beyond the TE of the workbook, which just wasn't meeting our needs at the time. This past year we used the second grade with the workbook, and I loved it! The kids found it sooooo much easier than R&S and CLE reading! I would have the kids do the phonics and vocabulary page one day, then read the story and do the comprehension questions page the next (after I checked the first two pages). We did the discussion either on the second day after they did the comprehension questions by themselves, or on the third day before starting the new story phonics and vocabulary pages. It worked very well for us this past year, This year about to start, I'm planning to use the third grade for one, and the second grade for another.

"LIKE" Peter & Paul Academy at Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...31024760253273
Old 08-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

ColoradoMom, I love them too... they are absolutely adorable! I think it is okay to do it all in one day... I just didn't want to overwhelm my kids, lol. My son will be doing Pathway Readers after he finished R&S reading, so basically two reading curriculums in one year, but he loves reading. As far as my dd, I think we should stick to one.

Lindina, I am torn on what to do with my dd. I bought R&S Reading, since my dd loved it last year. I also bought just the readers for CLE and Pathway Readers, since my kids like to read. Since dd is younger, I will only do one with workbooks, but she can read whichever program I don't go with on the side. I really want the kids to read the biblical stories, but on the other hand, I want the vocabulary to be "regular words", not all biblical, kwim? Maybe R&S just relies on spelling for that... I don't know. So, I need to figure out if it would be better to use R&S or buy the wb's for Pathway Readers, and go with that. Do you think it would be overkill to use R&S phonics, English, and Pathway Readers (don't they teach phonics?)

Thanks!

Old 08-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member

This year DD read the story and did one page one day, and the other workbook page the next. Both pages were too much for her.
Wife to one great guy!

Check out my blog www.livelearnlovetogether.blogspot.com
Old 08-07-2010, 07:13 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Actually, I used R&S 2 Reading as a Bible course, and the Phonics as a separate course, with the CLE and Pathways as Reading. The student had difficulty (he has learning issues - he turned 13 right at the end of the school year) with the CLE comprehension, so after a couple of units of that (he'd started 2 the year before but we finished 201-205 at the end of that year and started this past year with unit 206), we switched to Pathways 2-2 with wb, which we finished. This student also used the R&S spelling 2 (which I thought was a little light for him), and the English 2 (which I thought was just about right for him).

This coming year, we're going to finish the Bible 2 and Phonics 2 and start on the Bible 3, do the Pathways 2-3 with wb, then finish the CLE 2 last couple of units before moving on to the Pathways 3 with wb. And this year I've planned CLASS 3 spelling and R&S 3 English.

So I can't answer for what's right for your dd, but for my student it doesn't seem to be overkill but much-needed practice and repetition. Maybe do R&S Reading for Bible, then choose between CLE and Pathways for reading? Or do like we did, and switch - a couple of units of one, a unit or so of the other, then back? for variety. You night not necessarily finish both CLE and Pathways this way. I personally would prefer to use CLE for reading/comprehension with workbooks, and just have the Pathways for reading together and discussion. But my student has different needs than some of the other kids.

Both CLE and Pathways have "regular words" for vocabulary.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:36 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Twogirlsmommy, I might just plan on having two days for each story/wb pages and he can decide how long, or how little, he wants to take. I was going to change it and have him do it all in one day, but I would have to erase a lot, lol, and also even with doing two reading curriculums, we would be done with reading early that way. This way, we will have enough to last the entire year.

Lindina, you know what's funny? I am always thinking something in the back of my mind, and then you post that it's what you have done! It's happened several times now! So, I was thinking of using the R&S for Bible, and the Pathway Readers for reading. The only reason I am just using the CLE workbooks is because I read Cathy Duffy's review of it, and she said they use unusual markings. Since my dd has already learned R&S markings, I didn't want to confuse her. We will still use the readers (for extra reading).

So, when you used R&S as your Bible course, did you just have your ds read it, or did you do the workbook as well?

Old 08-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith3 View Post
Lindina, you know what's funny? I am always thinking something in the back of my mind, and then you post that it's what you have done! It's happened several times now!
Well, to quote my mom, "Great minds run in the same channels!" Or maybe it's "fools think alike"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith3 View Post
So, when you used R&S as your Bible course, did you just have your ds read it, or did you do the workbook as well?
Yes, we used the workbooks too. This student can use all the practice he can get at comprehension skills and answering completely.

I really prefer using the CLE workbooks because I think their comprehension and later their literary analysis is the absolute best! Their markings are a little different from the R&S and Pathways, like for instance they use a little dot over an o instead of a caret over the o, or one-dot u or two-dot u instead of a double o with a long breve or macron over it. Most of the symbols are the same, and I just made us a little chart for the ones that are different, with some clue words like put or book for one-dot u (oo with long breve) or tube or boot for two-dot u (oo with long macron).

Old 08-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindina View Post
Well, to quote my mom, "Great minds run in the same channels!" Or maybe it's "fools think alike"!

Yes, we used the workbooks too. This student can use all the practice he can get at comprehension skills and answering completely.

I really prefer using the CLE workbooks because I think their comprehension and later their literary analysis is the absolute best! Their markings are a little different from the R&S and Pathways, like for instance they use a little dot over an o instead of a caret over the o, or one-dot u or two-dot u instead of a double o with a long breve or macron over it. Most of the symbols are the same, and I just made us a little chart for the ones that are different, with some clue words like put or book for one-dot u (oo with long breve) or tube or boot for two-dot u (oo with long macron).
I had the biggest laugh when I read your post. Your humor is also just like mine, lol.

Decisions, decisions! I thought I had everything decided until I started scheduling! I have four weeks until school starts again... I need to hurry and decide.