Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling

Old 10-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

explore the code

what makes this so popular? I did a quick glance it looks similar to the workbook pages from a workbook at the bookstore.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

I like it because it's very systematic and phonetic and works nicely with my son's phonics program (Hooked on Phonics). We had to do a few of the lessons out of order to match HOP but overall it's been a good fit for him. I've never seen anything similar at the bookstore here. Most of them are sight words based and so colorful they are distracting.

This incorporates writing and spelling plus it has just some reading sections where DS x's the matching picture. My son LOVES ETC and usually does more pages than I had planned.

He's about halfway thru Book 3 (but could finish it all as reinforcement because we've learned all the sounds in HOP Level 4 already). He's completed A, B, and C Primers and then ETC 1,2 and half of 3.

My girls have never used them so I'm not familiar with the upper levels.

I probably wouldn't use it as the main phonics curric but as a writing supplement and reinforcment, it works nicely for us.

Rhonda C.

DD12, DD10, DS8
Old 10-07-2008, 05:47 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Right now I am using 100 EZ Lessons with my son. He's now getting the sounds to go with the letter. Yeah because his sister a year younger gets the sounds and letter most of the time.
When we are out and I say something I ask what this starts with or that and he's just draws a blank yet my younger one will start up. They have watched the leap frog video so much that I have put it up cuz it's always in my head now.
I saw a phonic s workboks at the store and it was just for phonics. I think school zone. We have a church bookstore that sells them but not the TMs but I don't think I need a TM for the little ones. My daughter does pretty good with hers, plus her spelling and reading has phonics in it (Rod and Staff)
Old 10-07-2008, 07:06 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

The main difference I've noticed between Explode the Code & the phonics workbooks in bookstores is how they dissect the word. The ones in bookstores usually have a section focusing on beggining sounds, then a section focusing on end sounds, and a section focusing on the vowel sounds. ETC will have it all on one page. They'll have the word, then three boxes. In the first box, you write the beginning sound, the middle box you write the middle sound, the last box, you write the end sound. That way, they covered all the sounds of that word on one page instead of in three different sections of the workbook. They also have matching the words to pics. Plus, it seems more focued on writing & spelling the words than other workbooks I've seen. To me, this makes it more complete. Ds uses it along with 100 Easy Lessons & visits to starfall.com.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Homeschool Spot Addict

We like it because Amanda easily confuses words that are similiar - rat, rag etc. ETC reviews those and helps them remember the differences.

Director of Human Development, Education & Family Relations (aka, wife, and homeschool mommy )

Old 10-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member

I am definitely checking this out! That sounds so much better then the workbooks we've tried, where you basically copy the letters into spaces, in groupings of sound not order. I wish I had the "colorful" books you saw! I am so sick of little mermaid, or Barbie workbooks. My daughter won't even do them.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict

Back in our second eyar of HS I bought a whole year's worth of Explode the Code. I think we did 2 pages before realizing we hated it. I just sold some of it on Ebay a few months ago - it had been sitting unused in a box for 4 years.

My son has always been a good reader and that year we tried using it we were already phasing out the phonics phase, so maybe that was why.