Article- Homeschooling and Christian Duty

Discussion in 'Homeschooling in the News' started by sixcloar, Jun 20, 2007.

1. sixcloar

sixcloar New Member

http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/?p=773

This was written by a local hs mom. It caught my eye because it discusses being in the world but not of the world. Here's the first paragraph:

By withdrawing from the larger culture, homeschoolers aid and abet the culture’s failings—or so, at least, the charge goes. Christians have a responsibility to be not “of the world,” but, we are told, they also have a responsibility to be “in the world.” And therefore it’s our duty to send our children to public school. After all, Jesus calls us to be the salt of the earth and the light of the world, and how can we possibly be those things if we stay at home all day?

I was unexpectedly bombarded with almost these exact comments in my Sunday School class last year, so I was interested to hear what the author said in response to those comments.

3. Marylyn_TX

Marylyn_TX New Member

That is an EXCELLENT article, Pam. Thank you so much!!

4. Earthy

Earthy New Member

GREAT article. Thanks so much for posting this. I am saving it with the rest of my stash! :)

5. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

WOW!!! I'm sending the link on!

6. SoonerMama

SoonerMama New Member

OK I haven't had a chance to read the article yet, but I am really excited to see that it is from First Things. One of our friends from high school (I think I may have mentioned her before) used to write for them when she lived in NYC and now she has moved back to OK and they are considering HS'ing. I am going to send her the link right now!