Welcome! Join our discussions about curriculum, lessons and activities, homeschool resources, family, Christian issues, news, and other topics relevant to homeschooling.  

Go Back   Homeschool Spot > Homeschool Spot Forums > Homeschooling in the News

Old 06-20-2007, 05:52 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict
Article- Homeschooling and Christian Duty

This was written by a local hs mom. It caught my eye because it discusses being in the world but not of the world. Here's the first paragraph:

By withdrawing from the larger culture, homeschoolers aid and abet the culture’s failings—or so, at least, the charge goes. Christians have a responsibility to be not “of the world,” but, we are told, they also have a responsibility to be “in the world.” And therefore it’s our duty to send our children to public school. After all, Jesus calls us to be the salt of the earth and the light of the world, and how can we possibly be those things if we stay at home all day?

I was unexpectedly bombarded with almost these exact comments in my Sunday School class last year, so I was interested to hear what the author said in response to those comments.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict
That is an EXCELLENT article, Pam. Thank you so much!!
May your roots go down deep into the soil of God's marvelous love. And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love really is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is so great you will never fully understand it.
Now glory be to God! By His mighty power at work within us, He is able to accomplish infinitely more than we would ever dare to ask or hope. Ephesians 3:17-21 (NLT)

Our homeschool webpage
Old 06-20-2007, 06:24 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict
GREAT article. Thanks so much for posting this. I am saving it with the rest of my stash!
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
--Dr. Seuss
Old 06-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict
WOW!!! I'm sending the link on!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Homeschool Spot Addict
OK I haven't had a chance to read the article yet, but I am really excited to see that it is from First Things. One of our friends from high school (I think I may have mentioned her before) used to write for them when she lived in NYC and now she has moved back to OK and they are considering HS'ing. I am going to send her the link right now!