Pro-Homeschooling Song on NPR!?

Discussion in 'Homeschooling in the News' started by MinnesotaMom, May 19, 2007.

1. MinnesotaMom

MinnesotaMom New Member

Homeschoolers – you gotta hear this!

I was in my car listening to NPR yesterday, and a song came on – in the vein of Schoolhouse Rock - about public education. I almost turned it off, thinking it would be propaganda. I’m so glad I listened! This song could have been written by John Taylor Gatto. It talks about the American school system being designed to create “worker bees” for our factories and cogs in the economy. It addresses the 1983 international results that led to the push for standardization and more and more testing. Jefferson, Rockefeller, and others are mentioned. It’s sung, supposedly, by Horace Mann.

Here’s the link (I don’t know how long it will be available) (I haven't been a member long enough to post the actual URL, so add the http): minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/programs/in_the_loop/
    There are two songs listed – the one you want is called “You Gotta Go to School.”

Jennifer

3. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

I started listening on my computer, while Carl was recording grades for his class on the other. The next thing I knew, he was knealing at my comnputer listening. His only comment, "That's cute!"

4. KrisRV

KrisRV New Member

that was so cute thanks for sharing it with us

5. momothem

momothem New Member

I'll check it out.

6. Hippychick

Hippychick New Member

My husband and I sat and listened, We loved it.
    Thank you