"Some Schools Are Leaving Recess Behind"

Discussion in 'Homeschooling in the News' started by celeste1070, May 17, 2006.

1. celeste1070

celeste1070 New Member

3. Syele

Syele New Member

ROFL Next it'll be verified that those are the same people who whine that Homeschoolers are not "socialized" :roll:

4. Trish

Trish New Member

That isn't right. Kids needs activity.

5. KrisRV

KrisRV New Member

Oh when I had my dd's in ps for a while when I was taking care of dh sister they had taken the recess away then and thats been over 2 years they only had a 30 min. lunch and they weren't allowed to talked while they were eatting. HMMMMMMMMM never understood that one. My girls hated it.

6. Hoosier Mama

Hoosier Mama New Member

I am not surewhere to post my thoughts on this. On this thread or the other one "What made you decide to hs?". When my ds was in third grade at the ps, he had a VERY challenging teacher. Now, I am all for challenging my kids in education, but she was extreme. The workload was very heavy...the kids were not allowed to go out for recess until their work was done. Most of the kids missed recess everyday, and even then he would come home with hours worth of homework. My ds never told me about missing recess, I just happened to find out somehow. When I did find out...Oh, I was mad! We met with the teacher and she pretty much said that it was Zach's own fault for not getting his work done in a timely manner. He has the opportunity to go out and play, but he doesn't take advantage of it. Of course, for a while, we were hard on Zach because we thought he needed to learn to step it up. IT WAS A HORRIBLE YEAR! Then in fourth grade, he became very depressed. The teacher was much better, but was still pretty hard on him. His eating habits decreased, he ws tired all the time, and cried alot. We were encouraged to see the school counselor, so we did. I finally realized that my dh and I had ALL the control and we needed to use it. We have been hsing ever since! My ds is happy, succeeding in his schoolwork and is even moving further ahead in most subjects! He is definitely someone who focuses better when he gets one on one attention, and he clearly wasn't able to get that at ps.

Kids are being forced to "achieve" acedemically and physically before they are ready. Or maybe they are ready but don't have the same learning style to fit with the ps system.

Ok...sorry, guess that article hit a nerve!

7. becky

becky New Member

Did anyone catch when Nickelodeon shut down for 2 hours one Saturday in the hopes kids would go outside to play? I think it was for at least two hours.

8. KrisRV

KrisRV New Member

No, We didn't we don't watch tv to much. Is that something they are going to do more often or just a test? Do you know?