summer camp

Discussion in 'Homeschooling' started by becky, Apr 29, 2004.

1. becky

becky New Member

I have been looking in to summer camps for my daughter. Since she's three, they are all about three hours long, for one to two weeks. I'm bowled over at the prices. The cheapest was a little over 200.00.
    Is this on the average what summer camps cost? The other one I looked into was a nature camp, and that was 500.00. Wow. Guess I won't be having that daily quiet time after all!! :(

3. She

She New Member

Well....if you do the math and she goes for 3 hours a day for two weeks...that would be 15 hours a week x 2 so...30 hours of babysitting time. That's about $6.60 an hour.

There is nothing cheap about someone watching your kid. If they are doing activities with them and are certified well...you get what you pay for. They SHOULD be doing more than your average highschool babysitter. Food for thought. :) I would also see what they provide. Are they providing snacks? Lunch? Do you have to bring in a care package of tissue, papertowels, etc...?

We pay quite a chunk of change for the kids to take Kindermusik. It's really a great program, though. Ds has been doing it since he was 1 year and he is now 5. He can sing, read 5 or 6 notes on the staff and play them on the glokenspiel. It's really been fun to watch it come together. He really loves music!

Hope that helps

4. becky

becky New Member

Since this was my first experience of looking into camps, yeah, I was surprised at the prices. I had no idea how they were priced.
    My daughter is also in Kindermusik, and you are right that it is not cheap. Even with the returning student rate, it is still expensive. But, it is a good program, and we have a very kind teacher.