Colorado: College Admission Discrimination Ends for Homeschoolers

Discussion in 'Homeschooling in the News' started by Emma's#1fan, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Emma's#1fan

Emma's#1fan Active Member

3. Deena

Deena New Member

Thanks to Christopher Klicka! Cool! That's a great equaling step!

4. vantage

vantage Active Member

I can kind of see the thinking behind the 3.0 thing however.

If you consider that many HS's do not have grades so to speak, and that there are many different standards and curriculums being applied to homeschoolers who are more diverse than PS students. Compare this to statewide standards, and grading scales makes it likely the folks who came up with this idea probably thought they were giving homeschoolers the benefit of the doubt with an automatic B average.

5. Emma's#1fan

Emma's#1fan Active Member

Homeschoolers do have grades, the grades their teachers give them. We qualify as teachers legally, so I do not understand why they think homeschool parents are not qualified to give grades.
    Many homeschoolers are state tested every year and this is some of the proof that has made a big different in universities accepting homeschoolers. There is proof beyond the grading of the teachers.

"He wrote, as well as verbally explained, that homeschool students typically score above average on nationally standardized achievement tests. He explained homeschoolers’ excellent track record of scoring higher then the national averages on the ACT and SAT college entrance exams. He provided studies and further evidence of the tremendous success of particular homeschoolers and how the commission’s particular policy was unnecessary. "

This is what is exciting. Their is testing and record keeping and grading that is available for examination. I do not believe Colorado would have changed the policy just by the word of HSLDA but it was by the impressive scores of these students.
    What I found interesting is they are willing to accept a grade point average higher then a 3.0 from a state accredited school without question.
    I know in California we have some serious issues with students graduating who can't even read. I used to goof around in school, especially the last two years. I ended up having to complete half of my senior year again. When I was supposed to graduate, my grade in Government was an F. When I gave my teacher the report to sign he laughed, took the paper from my hand and said, "Lets get you out of here.", as he placed a C on my report card. At the time I was thrilled. Lord knows I didn't deserve it. I think most parents are honorable and honest in their childrens grades. The college entry exams are proof.