I need some ideas ladies!

Discussion in 'Homeschooling' started by jkjcbybee, Apr 24, 2004.

1. jkjcbybee

jkjcbybee New Member

Hello everyone,:)
    I need some ideas for a sixth and a second grader for teaching them Social Studies. I would like to do them at the same time but with the oldest one with more detail. Does that make any sense? :confused:
    Thanks everyone ahead of time.
    Kristina (ID)

3. TinaTx

TinaTx New Member

Kristina....what do you mean social studies?

Are you wanting some history some geography, a little of both.

I know social studies is probably the political correct term used nowdays in schools. Its meaning is pretty broad. I really don't like it;)

I personally like doing history following The Well Trained Mind where you study period or chunks starting with the ancients and working your way forward to modern. The beauty of this is that you can do both kids at the same time.

However, I can't remember you state's law. Do you need something in a spiral fashion...i.e. like public school where you cover basically a lot of time periods in one year, with the idea being that you will build each year on them OR are you free to choose?

Let me know so maybe we can get you going in the right direction:)

Blessings
    TinaTx

4. jkjcbybee

jkjcbybee New Member

Tina,
    I didn't even think to look in the well trained mind book:eek: so that's what I'm going to be doing tonight. Thanks for replying.
    Kristina

5. Kelley

Kelley New Member

Hi Kristina,

One other thing you could look into is unit studies for your kids. You take one topic and teach both of them at the same time on different levels.

I use McGraw-Hill geography for my kids in that subject. I use it as a guideline and give my older kids work that is more challenging and my youngest one easier work based on what she can do.

If I wanted my kids to learn about local people in the community like firefighters my older kids could do a writen report and my daugher could read books about them and then we could all side down and compare notes.

HTH

Kelley

6. jkjcbybee

jkjcbybee New Member

Thanks Kelley I'm going to do that with the boys. It would also help my oldest with writing and my youngest with reading:D So it's like two for one!;) Thanks again,
    Kristina

7. Jimmie Lu

Jimmie Lu New Member

Did you think about the Beautiful Feet early Am. History. That is what I am going to use for 1st,2nd,5th,and 8th grade there are 2 diff, books grade level and It is history through lit. My kids are going to get alot of reading next year!! Good blessings to your endevour!!